Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sploder heat issues

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...mom's heat went completely out in her 1998 Exploder. Heater core flows just fine, the vacuum thing on the inlet hose to the heater core operates the way it should. The thermostat worked and is replaced by a new one. The selection panel to change between floor/defrost/vent/etc. works. But we can't get any heat what so ever. A buddy of mine said there was a plenum actuator behind the dash that worked the A/C and heat that might be faulty or stripped. Is this factual? If it is, what's the actual part name? And does the whole dash need to come out, or can I just pull the HVAC controls and headunit to access? Thanks for any and all help.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Blend door, blend door actuator, blend door motor...something like that.

I believe it's actually the blend door that breaks. Replacing all the busted components does require fully removing the dash, but I believe there are some fixes floating around the web that don't involve full disassembly. (That said...when I read one, I rather got the impression it was beyond my abilities to do it...)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^That is not very re-assuring. Thanks though. So this is a relatively common issue then?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep...wish I had an easy answer for ya, but I don't.

My '97 Ranger is immune, because as a non-A/C truck it still has a cable blend door (last year, though)....but it's a pretty common Ranger/Explorer issue.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
its actually common in a lot of fords, not just rangers and explorers. It happens to a lot of cars, as well. Happened in my Mark VIII.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Blend door motor or the door itself. Either way you will have a fun time removing the dash to do it. Sorry to tell you this. Had to do the same thing on my friend's Lincoln Town car last winter.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeehaw...spose I should probably pick up a Hayne's for the sploder.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Nah just put all the extra bolts in the cup holder :rofl2: No need for instructions

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
'Or de-structions in my case...haha. Anyone happen to have a link to this event???????

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
sawzall_large.jpg

Nope just a picture smilietease

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Blend door, blend door actuator, blend door motor...something like that.

I believe it's actually the blend door that breaks. Replacing all the busted components does require fully removing the dash, but I believe there are some fixes floating around the web that don't involve full disassembly. (That said...when I read one, I rather got the impression it was beyond my abilities to do it...)
smilieIagree

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
There is a little piece on the blend door that is actuated by the motor.

It breaks off.

Look at the thread I posted, and you don't have to remove the dash.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

New Jersey Chapter member
NJ
Yeehaw...spose I should probably pick up a Hayne's for the sploder.

haynes and chiltons, both suck but its better than nothing....

search on the explorer forum, i'm sure you can find what you need... theirs a sticky on a ghetto fix for it to, pretty much fixing it so you can open the glove box and adjust the blend door by hand or something.... but I'd fix it right

and yes, its a common problem on alot of fords, panther platform cars have this issue to

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for all the info guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts