Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wierd idea, but strong. Is the Ranger the most hotroddable truck ford has?

Greywolf

1) It's got a frame, so you can add just about anything to it.
2) It is about as light as a mustang.
3) V8 engines actually leave more space in the engine bay than the stock motors with all of their stuff.
4) Whatever is made for a mustang can be easily transplanted....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Dunno how a V8 would change it, but I think a 2wd Ranger is a hell of a lot of fun to push to it's limit in the twisties, too. (At least when the front is tight and aligned right, which mine isn't, quite. :()

They may not be able to keep up with everything, but they're real predictable, and get kinda loose if you let 'em.

Greywolf

I originally modded mine to wider tires because I was running on two lane country roads to work and back.

In the end, I ran 235/60/15's on the back, and have 225/50/15's on the front. A two inch lift was added to the back for clearance issues.

IT STICKS to the road....

For mileage reasons, I feel that taller rims of light materials radically improve performance. Spinning a lot of rubber is expensive at the pump - because rubber weighs more than a rim.

Try this: Ride a mountain bike a mile, then ride a road or touring bicycle a mile. Which goes faster?

The same ideas directly transfer to trucks and cars.

Mine is a 2.3 expensive to repair *****, but it loves country roads. It's a small engined Mustang, with a load bed.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
you need to post up some pics, man. Feel free to dig into the image hosting software here and link to it there, or just photobucket.

The ranger is a pretty versitile mobile.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
I have been kind of looking for an extended cab Ranger to toy with, but I would ditch the I beam front and use an Aerostar front suspension to get the a- frame setup, a little better ride and handling.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Well, before I blew my original motor and we had the spare 6.0L, we were looking for a Ranger to drop it in. There's tow others I know of with 6.0L's in them and they're pretty quick at the strip with very little engine mods.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm running stock rubber on mine (205/70-14) on stock 14" aluminum wheels. Tires are dirt cheap (the four on there now cost a total of less than $300, mounted) and I've got the rims, so I can't justify an upgrade.

With the 4.10 gears, she does pretty good on gas provided I keep it below about 62 mph. Starts dropping off pretty fast again after that.

I've only driven one Aerostar, and it was so worn out that I can't comment on how it might have handled originally, but if you get everything tight on the I-beams, they handle pretty good, IMO.

And my 2.3 hasn't needed any expensive repairs yet, but she's closing in on a quarter million miles, so I'm sure they're not far off. Then again, good care and maintenance since new (I know the original owner) will take the thing a long ways.

Greywolf

Let's see if I can do this - if it works I can comment further.

Okay. What you see there is an 89 Ranger, with skinny sidewall KUMHO tires on the front, mounted on 15 inch rims. This brought the height down and stopped a fender rubbing problem on dips

The back end required 2" lift blocks. I'd have used one inch, but they worked perfect. I have two sets for the rear - 235/60/15 Eagles, and 245/60/15 Mastercraft Avengers. The Eagles used to be on the front, but caused problems like I said.

What the heck, the rims were free... And you can see from the rear end shot, that I didn't go into pure overkill on the width. It's pretty much balanced

But the only way I can stuff the Eagles under the front is with two inch overstock spring coils, and an immediate alignment.
kumho1.jpg
kumho2.jpg

Last edited:

Greywolf

You see a lot of Rangers and S10's down at Byhalia and Holly Springs raceways in Miss. Engines go as big as they can get, Windsors are popular in them.

They do good as a sport truck.

You see a lot of Rangers and S10's down at Byhalia and Holly Springs raceways in Miss. Engines go as big as they can get, Windsors are popular in them.

They do good as a sport truck.

Yeah, the Ranger is hands-down Ford's best drag-truck. I see about 4x as many S10's on the raceways though, seems like everytime I turn on the Speed Channel and that show "Pinks" is on, I see a heavily modified S10 running a 12 second quarter.

Have you seen the one off that SVT made with all Lightning drivetrain called the Lightning Bolt? Bad little truck with the whole drivetrain pilfered from a full sized Lightning with the rear end narrowed to fit under the fenders and widened the rims a little but it was mean as could be.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Have you seen the one off that SVT made with all Lightning drivetrain called the Lightning Bolt? Bad little truck with the whole drivetrain pilfered from a full sized Lightning with the rear end narrowed to fit under the fenders and widened the rims a little but it was mean as could be.
Wow! Just googled and found it! That thing is awesome! Beat out the Lightning and a Mach1 Mustang no problem! Holy crap.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/lightningbolt/page1.html

Greywolf

NEWSFLASH:

Bag either a rear axle or an entire chassis of an Explorer (front suspension ALREADY sway barred, and a limited slip locker in either 3.73 or 4.10 ratio)

No "PEG-LEGGING" on launch....

Slap a Ranger cab and bed on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts