Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.4 problems......any help would be appreciated

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
So about half a month ago, I left my uncles and stopped at Wendys about a mile away, than when I started the truck up to go home, it started running like it was missing on a cylinder, than about a minute later it started running normal and ran normal the whole way home with was 50 miles. Every time after, on cold starts it would act up a mile after i had driven it, and than last weekend i took it on a 3 hour drive and only acted up once on the way their starting out, than on the way home, and only does it for maybe a minute, than it stopped completely for half a week, and now it's back doing it at random times. This is the 5.4 in my 2002 F-150.

Last edited:
That sounds like our Expedition.....It did just as you describe for about a year, then finally the coil pack on #2 cylinder (as scanned) gave up the ghost and we had a full time miss. Changed the coil pack and it's been good to go ever since...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yep sounds like the weak point on the coil is broke and only misses when the plasitic is "cold" and the plastic has shrunk. Only way to check is to GENTLY wiggle the plug where the coil plugs into the harness and see if it moves, if it does pull it out and see if it is broke where the plug in meets the head of the coil.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
I was figuring it was more than likely the cops on it. When i wiggled a #1-3 cylinder cop's the other day, it stopped. The thing is when I pulled those later, #3 is the only one that is securely seated on the plug, the others seamed to slide off and not have the boot/spring secure on the plug much....if that makes sense to you, wish the cops had wires versus just boots, but I'll check that on the plug meeting the coil, a majority of them do move when i wiggle the cop at where the harness plugs in.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts