Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coolant Filter on 6.4????

It is well documented that a coolant filter is a great idea on the 6.0L, however, it would not seem to be a concern on the 6.4L. The material that is routinely found in the filter by myself as well as others appears to be sand. The two dominant theories on it's presence in the 6.0L are: (1) Residual casting sand and (2) Silicate Precipitation. I kind of doubt #2 since Ford Premium Gold is supposedly low silicate coolant. It may be that precipitate is forming(in the EGR cooler perhaps... lots of heat i.e. correct environment to form a precipitate) however it may be sodium nitrate since nitrates are present in a high concentration and they are known to deplete over time.

Ok enough of that....

If you have a coolant filter on your 6.4 what are you finding in the filter and how much?

funny I was just thinking about posting this!!!

I just ordered it, I will let you know the details!!

From what I have seen under the hood I am not sure where you would even have room to install one. I installed one on my 6.0 because I saw stuff in my degas bottle. Seems to me that if guys with the 6.4L had the same issue the owner would have noticed and it would have been discussed by now. Well it will be interesting to see what you get. Hopefully nothing but a clean filter.

got it today, probably wont get to install it until saturday the weather here in boston is raining......I will let you know the outcome, great kit bob puts together!

Did the install today, filter mounts under the passanger seat on the frame. hoses are then routed into the engine compartment, very easy install, took me about 45 minutes! well woth it in my opinion!!

Any feedback? Funny, similar engine design, same coolant, no issues.....

no issues, I havent changed my filter yet, but I really need to! I willl repost my findings when I change it....hopefully this weekend, its been 6,000 miles and its still flowing because the filter is hot so i know its not completly clogged! on a side note, I never really got anything out of my 6.0 in the 30,000 miles I had it on there for, and I bought that truck brand new..I put the filter on around 20k if my memorie serves me right....just thought I would add that

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts