Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bronco Fuel tank swap

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Is it a simple swap to put a Bronco tank in the same era pickup?

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
eric, it would probably hang way too g/d low for your liking in the back. bronco tanks only come in 2 sizes that i know of, 25 and 33 gallon, and they are both really deep from top to bottom. i believe the rear tank in the trucks is only 19 gallons and it is flatter and wider front to back to make it fit. the bronco tubs are up higher in the back to let the tank sit higher in the frame. if it were a street only truck, i'd say give it a try, but not on something you plan to play with. check a site that sells them, they might list the dimensions for shipping purposes.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've been debating the same thing Eric.
Pickup tank is....26 1/2 x 34 1/2 x 7 1/2
Bronco tanks are....25.5 gallon....22 x 31 1/2 x 13
33 gallon....22 x 31 1/2 x 15 1/2

I would have to get rid of the spare and put a skid plate on just in case.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I don't care about it hanging lower, i'll be wrapping it in .25" plate, I just want to make sure if I pull the tank and the straps that it'll swap right in.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't care about it hanging lower, i'll be wrapping it in .25" plate, I just want to make sure if I pull the tank and the straps that it'll swap right in.

Given that it is smaller, it should...and looking at mine there is nothing in the way. Spare will be an issue.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
if the bronco ever becomes a dedicated toy i'm mounting the tank in the tub to keep it safe. nice rectangle shape. poor mans fuel cell ftmfw!!!!!!

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
If you decide to do the Bronco tank swap would you do a Tech article on it?

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
this goes along with a recent question of mine. my bronco didn't have bottom straps holding the tank in. as far as i remember my other 78 bronc did. this current one only had top straps and the skidplate holding it in. let me know what you find when you get a bronco tank, because paul couldn't remember for sure if they had bottom straps or not.

Fellro

Staff member
the skid plates are the bottom straps...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts