Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

DPF failures

blacksnapon

Staff member
Got one in my bay now that had a dpf replaced 2000 miles ago. Its plugged solid now. Previous dealer replaced the dpf without diagnosing the root cause.

what was the root cause bud? I just bought a new 2010 6.4, I am gonna run diesel kleen I have a suspicion that cetane can do nothing but these engines!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Subscribing since this just came up in another thread and I'd like to learn a bit more.

blacksnapon

Staff member
what was the root cause bud? I just bought a new 2010 6.4, I am gonna run diesel kleen I have a suspicion that cetane can do nothing but these engines!
It looks to me like theres a fuel leak into the pan causing the engine to ingest oil, contaminating the DPF. I'm guessing at this point because the oil doesn't register on the dipstick (no diagnostics at this point, warranty problems, waiting for the fighting to subside)

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If that is the issue I guess that explains the bad mileage he was getting, right?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Bingo..............

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Hey Vince, have I told you how much I love my stock 6.4?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Looks like the turbo's are the culprit. One is locked up, the other has excessive shaft movement. I drained a gallon of oil out of the CAC. When I removed the DPF and the downpipe, oil dribbled out of the exhaust.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
How many miles are on it?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Hope he doesn't faint from the bill LOL

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts