Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starter or battery?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ok since the truck was not running the battery lost some power.. nway i got the truck running again ..and the alternator charged the battery..
okthe question:
its starts very good when its cold... but when its hot y only get this loud CLICKING noise from the starter. it wont start.. i have to wait 2 ours Minimum and it would start again. its the 3rd starter the 1st didnt do it.. the 2nd one broke ( a bolt from a magnet got loose ) and only this one the 3rd one does this the 2nd one when its realy realy hot its turns very slowly but gets the job done ALWAYS but not this one :headbang: :S .normaly the usual problem with these trucks is the ground but the ground has been cleaned up and if the ground is dirty it would turn very slowly but not this starter it only does a LOUD clicking noise when its hot.. my dad says no its the battery bla bla it has been awhile since the truck ran bla bla:blah: and you have to charge it.. i say its the starter becuase if its the battery it would turn slowly but not do a LOUD clicking noise coming from the starter.. so any ideas?

or go trow it thru a window at napa [confused]

Last edited:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
is it an aftermarket starter? if so, take the truck to them when it will do it, and get them to load test the battery. if the battery passes then it is the starter.

blacksnapon

Staff member
is it an aftermarket starter? if so, take the truck to them when it will do it, and get them to load test the battery. if the battery passes then it is the starter.
Yep, I agree! Starter seizing up or the off hand chance of too advanced timing.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
What about bad grounding? My '70 would exhibit the same problems until I swapped the cable (thing would heat up beyond belief, okay not that bad but still hot) from the solenoid to the starter and checked all the grounding locations in the bay, after all that things were peachy

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts