Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tires 8 ply vs. 10

burdad

F350 SuperDuty
You guys are going to kill me. I have a 2001 F350 superduty 4x4 long bed. I have Firestone destination 315/75/R16 10ply on the truck. I am going to drive about 1200 miles in a day or two. I can buy some BFG's 285/75/R16's 8ply mounted with 55% tread on them for $60 from my neighbor, who has a shop. He thinks they will be fine, the truck wont be loaded but is this a totally bad idea to trade some mileage for the tires at this point. I know it will not look as good, but it will be more comfortable and improve mileage.

Thoughts?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would do it if it's only $60. Will it save you $60 or more in gas by doing this?

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I had a 2006 F-250 with 8 plies once. They allowed to back end to sway a bit more and were NOT good loaded, but I'd save those 10 plies and use the 8 plies to take the trip!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wouldn't hesitate to throw 8 ply on that truck. Hell...I've run my 96 350 with 6 ply Swampers before, towing and hauling upwards of 10k...no biggie. There is some stability loss...but since you're dropping an inch of sidewall per radius, the tires will be more stable laterally than swapping to an 8 ply of the same size as original.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts