Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

67-76 4x4 and body ??

havi

third member
Hi all, I'll keep it short.

1: '67-72 front clip and cab is supposed to fit on a '73-79 chassis, right? Just the bed won't work? Just want to verify this, as I'm looking to replace the body on my '79 Bronco plow (w/swapped in 300 6) I know the axles are wider, but no big deal for me.

2: Are the solid front axles on the F100, the same as '66 and earlier? F250 axles also? I have a '66 Bronco front axle I know is too narrow, but looking at the hubs, I have only one old style lock-out on the one side. I'm looking for an entire '67-72 4x4 to put my extra '50 F2 body on (and body for the '79), but want it to at least look old, like an M&H, until someday I find a real M&H. All of the '67-72's in the local junkyard didn't survive the last high scrap price wave. I should of jumped on them, but didn't survey all my extra stuff until this year.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I believe there a really good article on Fordification about this. If I remember right everthin swaps over but the bed on a 73-79 is a hair longer and itll leave a gap between the cab and bed when ya put the older bed on it.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
the frame widths are slightly different between the bump and dentside frames

havi

third member
Thanks guys. I'm looking at grafting the bed sides into the cab like on a '78/79 Bronco. One of those big bodywork projects, lol. Should be a challenge to say the least.

Sounds like a cool idea, a bumpside Bronco!

Years ago, I saw a 65 Fullsize Bronco in one of the off road magazines. The guy had taken a early 60's unibody, put it on a 78 or 70 Bronco, and did some serious body work so he could put the fiberglass Bronco top on it. He had a 65 grill in it, and called it a 65 fullsize. Nice paint (black with yellow flames, if I remember right), and he abused it. One of the photos in the mag he had it probably 3 feet airborne. Neat idea, but a lot of work!

havi

third member
I still have the issue put away with the rest in the garage attic. It has been in the back of my mind ever since I saw that, and now that my Bronco body's about shot, I think I'm ready to do it.

Sounds very cool, lets see some pics when you get started.

BTW, a couple of years ago at Moab jeep safari, I saw a shortbed that had been gutted and the bedsides welded onto the cab. Looked like the starter point of what your talking about, but this guy lost interest and just built it up into a rock crawler. Had me going from a distance, a bumpside Bronco. When I got close I could see how he did it, but from 50 ft it was convincing. Good luck!

havi

third member
Local junkyard got rid of their older trucks, making room for newer stuff, I s'pose. :rotz: Anywho, I've got a want ad out on the CL, and started looking around for donors. I've got some other projects to wrap up around the house, but when I get things rolling, I'll keep it updated online.

havi

third member
FWIW, I finally got a lead on a 1970 2wd for $100, and also got a free frame from a mid 70's 2wd, w/360 and C6 included. Slowly getting there.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
the distance between the rear frame widths are slightly different between the bump and dentside frames.
Not on all of them.

1973/77 F250 4WD's (High Boys) & 1973/79 F350's on the 140" wheelbase all have 33 1/2" rear frames rails, same as 1961/66 F100/350's.

All other 1973/79 F100/350's have 37 1/2" rear frame rails.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts