Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ball Joints, should I even try?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I was thinking about tearing into my recently aquired 99 Expedition 4x4 front ball joints. They seem tight and it was aligned just fine, but I can't stand the squeaking of the front end which I guess usually means that ball joints are dry and eventually will wear out. I'm wondering if I should try to tear into it myself if I can get a ball joint tool.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If they are tight and just squeak you can buy a needle that will inject grease into the boots to temporarily stop the squeaking. It has worked for me in the past on my fiance's Mustang. I did it a few years ago and hasn't squeaked since. No play in her balljoints yet. I'm sure some will disagree with this like I have seen in the past. But it worked for me on a few occasions when there was no play in the balljoints.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Nice tip. I think I will try that to see what happens. Like I said, there is no play yet and everything seems to be fine except the noise and that really annoys me. I'm always pressed for time to complete a project like that and unfortunately my 77 ford doesn't fit in my parking ramp for work. Damn thing is too tallsmilieFordlogo

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Tell them you need a taller parking ramp or it's job discrimination :rolling laugh:

I was thinking about tearing into my recently aquired 99 Expedition 4x4 front ball joints. They seem tight and it was aligned just fine, but I can't stand the squeaking of the front end which I guess usually means that ball joints are dry and eventually will wear out. I'm wondering if I should try to tear into it myself if I can get a ball joint tool.

Did you ever do your ball joints?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts