Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

well the news is released... New Explorer...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
66.jpg

Ford begins a marketing campaign Monday for the 2011 Ford Explorer, which will be in dealerships this winter. The automaker promises a utility vehicle with seating for seven that has similar fuel economy to a Toyota Camry sedan. Pricing hasn't been announced.

The new Explorer will have less towing capacity than the outgoing model -- 5,000 pounds, versus 7,115 pounds -- and it won't offer a V-8 engine.

The new Explorer has a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder EcoBoost engine, which has the power of a V-6 -- 237 horsepower -- with better fuel economy. The government hasn't issued fuel economy ratings, but Derrick Kuzak, head of global product development at Ford, said the engine would be similar to a 2010 Toyota Camry sedan with a V-6 engine. That Camry gets 19 miles per gallon in the city and 28 on the highway.

The Explorer also has a 3.7-liter V-6 that gets 290 horsepower -- the same as the current V-8 -- and 20 percent better fuel economy than the outgoing V-6.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-introduces-new-and-apf-3064773563.html?x=0

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dear God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kill it with fire. It looks like what a new taurus would look like as a station wagon. As an SUV, that thing is terrible, it looks like a Element with a Taurus nose on it. Looks like they're trying to do a crossover type thing. That 3.7 sounds pretty impressive though.

Ford isn't gonna attempt this styling with any other SUV's are they?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
IDK I am totally diggin on it. I saw a few other shots of it and I like the way it looks

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I like the looks and some features, not digging the lack of a powerful drivetrain...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
not digging the lack of a powerful drivetrain...

WHAT???????!!!!?????? How much more power do you want than 290hp from a V6!!!!! That'll get 20mpg's. Hell, That's about 45hp more than a stock 90's 460 and that's only 52hp less than what Red is pumping out, it'll probably be on par with what the Bronco will have when I'm done with it. I'd also like to mention, it's DOUBLE what your 351M is putting out.

All the while, it gets DOUBLE the mpg's than anything I mentioned. I still think it's uglier than sin, but I thought the engine line up was more than adequate.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
WHAT???????!!!!?????? How much more power do you want than 290hp from a V6!!!!! That'll get 20mpg's. Hell, That's about 45hp more than a stock 90's 460 and that's only 52hp less than what Red is pumping out, it'll probably be on par with what the Bronco will have when I'm done with it. I'd also like to mention, it's DOUBLE what your 351M is putting out.

All the while, it gets DOUBLE the mpg's than anything I mentioned. I still think it's uglier than sin, but I thought the engine line up was more than adequate.

Want more power!!!!!!!!!! smiliepeelout

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Want more power!!!!!!!!!! smiliepeelout

Damn...I guess I'm just in awe that that we have something today that has double the hp of the rough and tough trucks of 30-40 years ago, hell even the late 90's...and they get double the mpg's and they're in something half the weight making them even quicker. And these numbers are coming out of a V6 no less.

I will admit, those numbers aren't as impressive as some of the competitors...but I don't think Ford is looking to be the power leader or the mpg leader with certain vehicles...so they're middle of the road putting up good numbers overall instead of skewed one way or the other.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
looks allot like the edge :) i like it :)

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I vaunt to see a 6.2 under ze hood.

It doesn't look that bad to me.Alot better than that PO* Flex thing.

The engine lineup looks impressive,but I'm led to think that my 300 still has more torque,even when it sits.

Dear God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kill it with fire. It looks like what a new taurus would look like as a station wagon. As an SUV, that thing is terrible, it looks like a Element with a Taurus nose on it. Looks like they're trying to do a crossover type thing. That 3.7 sounds pretty impressive though.

Ford isn't gonna attempt this styling with any other SUV's are they?
I highly doubt the higher ups at Ford are so dense they would dare touch the Expedition with that. But the Explorer was and is a unique case.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Exactly, I thought it looked like a taurus station wagon on it's first cycle of roids. I can't believe how many guys actually like this.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm not feeling much love.

The toyota camry headlights they used are not cool. The unibody thing makes it pretty obvious that there isn't a frame. You can just smell a grocery getter. Which is fine for some folks.

I think a lot of people like having a vehicle that's bigger than a deathtrap car, but wouldn't dream of a vehicle with the capabilities of a real truck. That's why they make these types of... things.

Ryan

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yep definatly a "family" car. I don't see any of us buying one to "be cool" in. That is why we drive what we do now. That being said if the wife was diggin on it I would let her get one. You have to keep in mind Fords main group that will be buying these. They are going to be moms with kiddos. Good vehicle for them.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Yep definatly a "family" car. I don't see any of us buying one to "be cool" in. That is why we drive what we do now. That being said if the wife was diggin on it I would let her get one. You have to keep in mind Fords main group that will be buying these. They are going to be moms with kiddos. Good vehicle for them.
smilieIagree

The SUV market is, by and large, the mommy station wagon market.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

I get that, and know what demographic they're aiming for. I was more surprised the number of guys on HERE, that said they liked it. If my mom, or grandmother said they liked it, I'd be all for it...but with the guys on this site, I was surprised at such a warm reception.

BTW...anyone know Doc's wife? Just so you can show her what I bolded above...hahaha.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
LMAO Trust me when I tell you I would LET HER allow me to LET HER get one! HAHA

Ford Truck Articles