Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Raptors

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Major con for me and the reason I'm not going to buy one-- it can't tow as much as a normal F150. The tow rating is something like 6-7k max. Not enough to pull my boat.

Sucks-- I was really thinking about the crew cab.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I wanna know the pros and cons on owning a ford raptor in general.

this is kinda my list...

Pros:
Looks killer
is great offroad
cant mod a stock F150 to be a Raptor for the cost
mainly cause no 6.2 in the stock F150's..
interior is nice

cons:
less towing
more expensive upkeep IE: shocks, brakes, tires..
no crew cab yet... soon though soon...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Chris,you forgot that every stupid ignorant daddy's money rich 18 year old wants one too.That right there pretty much ruins it for me.There really is no need IMO for a Factory Pre-Runner,UNLESS Ford actually backs an actual Pre-Runner team with a Raptor.Otherwise,the Raptor is just another Mall Crawler,which is just about the only place I see them around here.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Chris,you forgot that every stupid ignorant daddy's money rich 18 year old wants one too.That right there pretty much ruins it for me.There really is no need IMO for a Factory Pre-Runner,UNLESS Ford actually backs an actual Pre-Runner team with a Raptor.Otherwise,the Raptor is just another Mall Crawler,which is just about the only place I see them around here.
How is it a pre-runner? It's 4wd... Ford raced it in Baja 100 and placed 3rd in class 8. It ain't no poser truck-- it's the real deal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/25/ford-f-150-svt-raptor-r-completes-inaugural-run-of-baja-1000/

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
How is it a pre-runner? It's 4wd... Ford raced it in Baja 100 and placed 3rd in class 8. It ain't no poser truck-- it's the real deal.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/25/ford-f-150-svt-raptor-r-completes-inaugural-run-of-baja-1000/

I throw Pre-Runner around loosely to any type of Truck that races in something like the Baja 1000.Desert Racing isn't my thing,so I don't have the correct term for a truck like the Raptor.

So Ford entered a modified version of the truck into the Baja 1000

I highly doubt the truck they raced is the one you find on the street.Besides,they did one Baja 1,000.Good for them.I wanna see a couple more.If it survives that,then maybe i'll accept it.The Raptor just really irks me.People are making a big deal out of it,when it really isn't.Ford stuffed a Big Motor in it,and upgraded the Suspension.Well,I don't see anything spectacular about it since SVT has been doing that to numerous vehicles for over 10+ years.I hear so much about this thing,and it's gettin to be like a broken Record.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
In my Peterson's 4 Wheel Drive this month they have an article on the Raptor. I tried to find a link for you guys but couldn't.To quote the article "the 6.2L that is in the production version of the Raptor is virtually identical to the Raptor R race engine." "While the race version nets about 100 more horsepower, all the core components and parts are the same as the production engine." They also say it makes 411 h.p. and 434 lb-ft of torque. The crew cab modle to be released will have 500 H.P. with a four linked rear suspension with verticle wheel travel in the 18 inch range.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you want it for looks and an ego boost and for something that's more capable than a standard F150 off the lot and you have the cash for it, go for it. But if you want one because you think it's the best desert runner since sliced bread, you're delusional. As I've said before, Broncospeed guys can pick up a $2k Bronco, put 15-20k of parts in it and run circles around the Raptor. Personally, for the price tag, I think the Raptor is all hype. Sure as a desert runner it's fairly capable for a factory rig, but IMO it falls short in most other aspects, especially ones I'm interested in.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Shaun, the raptor that they raced had minor suspenion upgrades.
As in the shocks and springs were changed,
There were some electrical things changed, and safety stuff was changed, but as a complete truck, it was pretty much off the showroom floor and onto the track, no major modifications were done, suspension parts were swapped out. Besides that it was modified as little as possible to get it into specs..

I.E. electical and rollcage harness seats. Also the truck used a bed mounted fuel cell.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I agree with you Ben. For the price tag I can go out and get a Diesel crew cab equipped how I want. Tows more and can haul the toy I build for half the price of the Raptor. Of couarse Ford powered.

I'm with Ben also, If I'm dropping coin Ill build what I want...

But I'd mad pimp one if it was a freebie....

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
air bag the rear

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
air bag the rear

That works until HP or DMV pull you over and pull out the scales. I see this once every couple of months in NC, and seen it a couple times in western Va.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Shaun, the raptor that they raced had minor suspenion upgrades.
As in the shocks and springs were changed,
There were some electrical things changed, and safety stuff was changed, but as a complete truck, it was pretty much off the showroom floor and onto the track, no major modifications were done, suspension parts were swapped out. Besides that it was modified as little as possible to get it into specs..

I.E. electical and rollcage harness seats. Also the truck used a bed mounted fuel cell.

That still makes it different than the one you get off the showroom floor.You can't compare a truck that was prepped to run at Baja to a truck on the showroom floor.What I wanna see,is a showroom Raptor pay a visit to Baja on a regular day,and run the course.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts