Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2001 Stupid duty, brake parts

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
So the slider pins for the calipers are frozen up with rust and what not and I ordered new caliper brackets thinking the pins would come with, but nope. The parts guy (fawkin idiot, btw) was able to get me the front slider pins, but said I had to buy the whole caliper in the back to get the pins. Does anyone know where I can find the pins without spending 150 bucks on a caliper that I don't need?

:guns: smilieFordlogo

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Can you clean the rust off the pins and just grease them up or are they pitted?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
So the slider pins for the calipers are frozen up with rust and what not and I ordered new caliper brackets thinking the pins would come with, but nope. The parts guy (fawkin idiot, btw) was able to get me the front slider pins, but said I had to buy the whole caliper in the back to get the pins. Does anyone know where I can find the pins without spending 150 bucks on a caliper that I don't need?

:guns: smilieFordlogo
PARTSGUYED.COM (Ed Olson, parts manager of Horizon Ford in Seattle WA) has an EZ to use online parts catalog, gives discounts to everyone off the MSRP.

You say 2001, but your sig says 2003. I have FoMoCo parts catalogs thru 2001, so I can look the parts up...if that's what it is.

People criticize the partsguys, but...from my own 35 years of Ford parts counter experience and almost 4 years on internet Ford truck sites, I do know one thing.

People are their own worst enemies when it comes to autoparts, cuz they fail to list ONE single shred of evidence of what the hell they are working on.

They must think we're mindreaders.

Last edited:

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I don't know if you're saying I didn't provide you info or if I didn't provide him info, but I did both. Or maybe you're not talking about me at all. This guy would NOT listen to me, I had to have said 30 times REAR caliper slide pins and he kept pulling up the front diagram. Yes, it's an '01 that I'm working on.

Anyway, I was able to get the pins from advance auto for ~15 bucks. I can't believe Ford wouldn't stock these pins with the kind of work these trucks see, it has to be a fairly common replacement.

Sean, the pins were frozen inside of the caliper bracket, everything from heat to vice grips to a BFH would not move them. Greasing the slide pins has been added to the check list of before and after the snow plowing season.

Forgot to say - thanks for the replies!

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Glad you found the pins cheap. We have part stores around here that no matter what info you provide them they still don't get it. I've had people tell me the part didn't exist and I was holding it in my hand.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've seen idiocy on both sides of the counter. Techs that dont know what size engine they're working on "Its a big one!". And of course the counter man that only asks the questions that his computer screen tells him to.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Yeah, the advance auto/autozone crew make me want to punch babies most of the time :hammer:

to elaborate on this from my perspective...

ANY LOCAL PARTS STORE IS FILLED WITH IDIOTS!!!

yall know how they hire right?

they list out all the applicants, delete any with felonies, delete any with recent firings for dumb chit, then, they hire down the list....

and i got that directly from a Autozone hiring manager this morning.... when i was *****ing him out for the idiots they have behind the counter...

i asked them to put on hold a axle shaft bearing... they put a carrier bearing on hold..... DUMBASSES!!!!!!!!

luckily for the first time in 6 months a part other than oil or filters, or plugs, they have actually had it in stock.....

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
i asked them to put on hold a axle shaft bearing... they put a carrier bearing on hold.
Here is a common mistake I've seen...especially on the internet.

A carrier bearing is another name for the rear axle's differential bearing.

The correct name is driveshaft center support bearing.

When you deal with idiots at autoparts stores, it's best to describe the part correctly, otherwise...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Here is a common mistake I've seen...especially on the internet.

A carrier bearing is another name for the rear axle's differential bearing.

The correct name is driveshaft center support bearing.

When you deal with idiots at autoparts stores, it's best to describe the part correctly, otherwise...

yes i understand the correct name is driveshaft center support... i actually use that name mostly...

anyways they still got the dam thing wrong... I plainly said AXLE SHAFT BEARING.

cant win for losing..

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Slider Pins are fun.

I couple years back I decided to mess with a kid at Advance.Asked for Rear Brake shoes for a 1980 Ford F100.He looked em up,and then went back and got them.I measured them,and told the kid they were the wrong ones.He looked up the part number,and it matched what he had.The brakes he had were 10",my truck has 11" brakes.Poor kid was so confused.I had him turn the screen,and nowhere on the screen did they have any options for Power vs Manual or GVWR.Point is,It's not always the kid's fault.The funny thing is,shortly after I did that,they updated their computers,and lo and behold the choices for Manual VS Power and GVWR came up.I'm still Ordering Brakes for an F150 though.I don't trust them.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Dear Paul -

Do a little maintenance on your truck once in a while and maybe you won't find yourself in that position.

<3

Steve :D

Dear Steve,

Get on facebook and tell my dad that. His idea of preventive maintenance is when it starts making noises louder than the engine and radio he MIGHT go get it checked out :hammer:

<3 Paul

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts