Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Learn me about 460s

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Changed my mind with the 85 so I bought an 86 250 4wd with a 460 and a four speed and ever option but power doors. But the bad thing is its got california emissions on it that aint needed or wanted so me and dad have been messin some with it and got the air pumps off and half of the other crap thats on the exhaust manifolds. It has a tube runnin from the back of each head that has to do with the emissions stuff. Can it be plugged off or are the heads a differnt beast than what would be on one without the emissions?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Got all the emissions garbage off it and pulled the intake and valve covers gonna do a timing chain and probly a cam to be sure we dont get it all back together and start it and hear a collapsed lifter. Gonna be also lookin for some D0VE heads for it eventually found some on Rockauto for 357 each ready to run with a 50 dollar core. Might get em if we aint impressed with these heads that are on it. Also need to plug the holes in the back of the heads that were for the cross over tube so gonna order a few things tomorrow after my check hits.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Might worth checking out 429-460.com and 460ford.com for info and classifieds.

Wish I knew more about the 460 myself, but I just don't.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah dad was lookin around on google and run across a few posts on there that were pretty informative. My dads buddy built a monster 460 a long time ago so hes also been teachin us some about em.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Also did a compression test on it heres what I got.
1 was 130 psi
2 was 145 psi
3 was 135 psi
4 was 110 psi and I think it might not have been threaded on all the way or the release button got bumped cause there wasnt no body holdin it still Have to try it again tomorrow
5 was 130 psi
6 was 140 psi
7 was 135 psi
8 was 120 psi
Dont know exactly whats good for these motors but I figured above 120 was good.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Got the new Weiand stealth intake today along with intake bolts, carb studs and gaskets ordered it through Summit yesterday mornin with standard shipping and it was here when dad got up for work around 4. Really impressed me on how fast they got it to me. I checked all the lifters and they felt like they pumped up when I did the compression test so well see how it goes this weekend.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
ordered it through Summit yesterday mornin with standard shipping and it was here when dad got up for work around 4. Really impressed me on how fast they got it to me.

Summit has really been impressing me lately as well...well since I told them I only wanted FedEx shipping. I ordered my cam kit which wasn't supposed to be in stock until the 29th, it was at my door step yesterday...I ordered some Comp break in oil with it too, at 4:30 Friday afternoon and it was here Saturday morning. Not to mention, all the prices were price matched, so I got everything for about $75 less than they listed it for.

Congrats on your new parts.

Be careful, what cam? the stock heads and valve springs won't take much lift, and I have found out long ago the tech lines for summit,jegs etc. don't know big block Fords. Go for the Dove heads, you definitely need more compression to make power. Randy.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
This is the one we were lookin at for some reason Summit dont have much for Crower.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-22240/
We got it all together this weekend but somethin didnt feel quite right when the distributor went in so I think the oil pump drive popped out of the oil pump we dont have a primer for this motor so we couldnt tell wether it was in or not got it to turn over and didnt see any pressure on the gauge so its out. Got the primer on order along with a new drive and small triangle air cleaner.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah well check it all out when we do the cam but for right now I just want to get it runnin and go through the rest of it so its good to drive.

Compression test !

The lowest cylinder value should be no more than 10% lower than the highest cylinder value.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well Dad got it runnin today while I was at work and it runs great. Has good power and no noises. got a couple little things to work out with it like a stiffer throttle spring and maybe a degree or two more timing but for runnin on three year old gas with enough stabil to treat 40 gallons and 5 gallons of fresh premium it runs great. Ill get some pics of the motor and the truck tomorrow. The truck has 96,000 on the clock and the shape that its in I doubt that its rolled over.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That Stabil is some amzing chit, ain't it. You can go from solidified/honey combed gas, add a dash of good gas and a bottle of Stabil, and you'll be rolling in no time. Slightly exagerrated, but you get the point. Glad you got her running, Dan.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts