Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project Thread?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm not really looking for this to become a new thread,at this point I kinda wanna see what the interest would be.I personally love to see people's projects,whether it be their truck or car.But I hate not having one place for all the project threads.Right now we have to go through thirty different sections to see everybody's projects.A few other sites have it,and I think it's a cool feature.I am kinda worried it won't get much traffic,which is why I'm just kinda wondering how much interest we have in it.If enough people do take Interest in it,maybe then we can have it added.So,anybody interested in a Project Thread?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
My opinion is not to spread the forum any thinner then it already is. Who decides what a "Project" is? Is changing brake pads a project? Is a frame up resto a project? Is installing a new stereo a new project?

See where I am coming from? Plus if a new user comes to the forum for some gen 6 info do you think they would also look in a "projects" forum for information?

I appreciate the suggestion but my vote would be no for this. That being said I don't make the decisions here so I'll let the admins chime in and make a decision.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I agree with Gestapo...everything is a project at one point or another...the specific Gen sections are tailored to projects in those year ranges.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Mr. Gestapo,

I dont think the OP is referring to a new forum that everyone posts their projects in, but just one stickied thread in say, General automotive that people don't post in, but a mod keeps a list of "project" threads that people suggest to him.

The threads are all in their appropriate areas, but there is just a thread that lists submitted projects.

Like, a link to that guys HO thread, our my Mountaineer build. It would offer an opportunity for people to find cool projects that are in a subforum they normally wouldnt browse.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I like the idea, but look where the tech thread is...there are some threads in there, but there are still regular questions on the tech threads already there. Which was my problem with the tech thread in the first place, someone looking to replace a timing chain on a gen 6, is just gonna ask up...I doubt they even look in the tech thread, much less scroll through all the other non-gen 6 tech threads to find my thread on replacing a timing chain.

So my opinion is, if something like this does happen, it should remain with each specific generation, and maybe be stickied. But then do you have enough to make it worth while? I know there are quite a few builds for gen 6's and alot of gen 9 upgrades and whatnot and it seems like gen 8's are gaining strength, but what about the other generations...deal with it as it comes?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I definitely understand where you're coming from Aaron.

The way it works on other sites,is that it is strictly a place for people to post their truck or car project as a whole.Tech stuff doesn't necessarily go in here,it's more of a picture book or explanation of what is new on our projects.Most of the posts don't go into detail of how the part was actually put on,it's just a picture and explanation of what the part is,and maybe where it's from.I personally do not wanna look through the Gen 6 thread to track everything Ben has done to Red since he joined,and I highly doubt everything is in one forum.But if Ben chose to,he could post a thread with a few pics and basic details of how Red or Thunder have evolved over the years.I believe it's a great way to get ideas for your own ride,or simply inspiration for you to start working on your own ride again.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I'm not saying it is a bad idea by any stretch, only that I don't think it fits our site as it currently sits.

Maybe some of the admins will chime in since they are the decision makers. Then again they may already be talking about it in the admin forum, so we'll just wait and see.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
If it is being discussed,I really don't see a point in adding it right now until we have solid support of it.I don't want it ending up like the Chatbox and remaining dormant with nobody posting in it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If it is being discussed,I really don't see a point in adding it right now until we have solid support of it.I don't want it ending up like the Chatbox and remaining dormant with nobody posting in it.

Agreed...I think if we did a build section on this site, it would go the way of the tech section. Evryone talks about wanting more tech or doing a tech thread, but it typically just ends up getting posted in the generation specific section any way...then gets lost in the shuffle and gets pushed to the bottom. WHich is why I thought it might be a good idea to try and keep those threads in the specific generation but all lumped together in one sticky. Kinda like the 'threads of importance' in the gen 6 section.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I don't think it is a bad idea, but I like seeing people's projects in the specific forums like Gen 6 builds in that forum or gen 8, etc. I think people are more prone to look in those forums more. If you have a project that isn't truck related it could just go in general conversation. I think it would be helpful to build up those forums instead of creating another one that might not see a lot of people.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't think it is a bad idea, but I like seeing people's projects in the specific forums like Gen 6 builds in that forum or gen 8, etc. I think people are more prone to look in those forums more. If you have a project that isn't truck related it could just go in general conversation. I think it would be helpful to build up those forums instead of creating another one that might not see a lot of people.

I agree Sean!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Bringing this one back. To get it all in one thread, I just noticed NC4x4 does it this way:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96391

Keeps everything together. Seeing as we're just a Ford site, maybe break it up by generation. Initially, it would be a ton of work for mods or admins I think...unless they felt like delegating, or someone offered to help find build threads...but after that initial stage, I think it would be relatively easy to keep up.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I wouldn't mind looking through some of the gen specific threads to find build threads, however in no way is that a one-man job. I will definitely do the 7th gen section.:D

As I said before, this still needs alot of planning, and even more approval from mods, admins, and members. Right now, I don't think we have enough support for it. I'm still split on it myself. If I wasn't still on the other site, i'd volunteer to Mod it, but i'm still over there, so yea.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I dont know, no one reads old project threads before asking a question anyways..and then someone usually posts a link to it as needed.

This seems like it would just add to wasted bandwitdth

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I agree with Scott, nobody searches...I've been on forums where the only responses to someone's question is "search". Which I didn't used to agree with and it irked me a bit but, now that I'm slightly older and not at all wiser, I can agree with that...it's such a pain to reiterate something on a subject that has been beaten to death instead of someone taking the 3 seconds to find the search link and type in whatever it is they're looking for.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
That's not the point of the thread. When you go to a car-show, and the guy with the beautiful 68 Shelby GT500KR has a little picture album of the pictures and progress of the restoration on the rad support, you're inclined to look through it. You look through the album, and you think to yourself, wow, this guy did a great job. And it gives you some inspiration and idea into what you can do to your ride. Basically, it's an E-Scrapbook of the progress of our rides.

I myself love pictures, and could care less how Ben replaced his water pump. I could care less that Chris painted his exhaust manifolds. What I would want to see in the project thread, is pictures of a new engine in your ride, a new interior, or even new rims. Basically, things that have changed. It's not for describing how to do stuff, it's for seeing what is new. If you want it described, we have PM, specific gen sections, and the tech thread.

I don't usually link to Eff Tee Eee, but I think this will help you guys understand what i'm talking about. Forgive some of the stupid posts, kids are dumb, and I was ignorant about the truck for a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford Truck Articles