Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bad Ranger

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well now...that wasn't very nice. What about the Ranger aren't you happy with? As for the dealer, what's wrong there?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have to wonder why someone wouldn't want the Ranger. My guess is, he bought it without doing any research first.

The Ranger is ancient...old, old, old. The basic design dates back to the 1970's when it was being developed. It went on sale in March 1982...as a 1983 model.

In contrast, the Chevy Colorado isn't much better. Its 5 cylinder engine has a horrid reliability record, the brakes are terrible, and the thing is as fugly as sin.

In another thread, the OP is discussing the operation of the A/C. If you read the owners manual, it explains how the A/C operates.

I drove a '84 Super Cab as a demo back when it was new. The cab was tight, the fold up/down back seats were worthless except for kiddies or small dogs to sit on, otherwise it wasn't too bad.

Last edited:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I read the OP's complaint on his other post.Something about the A/C still running on Vent and wasting gas.Supposedly Ford says it's normal.

Rangers are great trucks,I loved the H*ll out of my old one,and i'll love the H*ll out of my next 98-03 one.

Im not sure why youre not liking your ranger. Ford makes the best truck otu there IMHO. I have driven the Chevy Colorado and S 10 in my latest quest to find a good truck and I even bought a S10. The truck was sold within six weeks as it was the most uncomfortable thing ive ever driven long distance. I tried changing the seats too. I just purchased another used ranger and i feel like im home in my lazy boy every time i drive it

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
First off, the Ranger is a great truck! Sure its on a dated platform, but its still a beast of a truck!

Yes the A/C compressor stays on all settings except for one of them (I cant remember which one). But the Ranger doesnt have the best gas mileage anyhow if you have the V6. I get 16-18 in my 4.0 w/ 4.10 gears automatic.

Your first problem was buying a 2010 model. In case you didnt know, Ford is discontinuing the Ranger and since 05 have slowly started dropping things from the Ranger. 01-03 were the BEST years to buy them, with 03 probably being the very best.

What are your gripes other than A/C

The problem with my Ranger is the AC it runs most of the time when set on the vent settings not on the AC setting, if I turn the heat up the air compressor is still engaged. The dealer says that is the way it is suposed to work When I went to Ford customer service thy told me that the dealer said it was ok and did nothing for me. Why would I be happy with this truck or Ford?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Honestly,the A/C not working the way you want it to is a sad reason to not be happy with a truck.That's just one tiny problem out of 1,000+ more serious things that could be wrong with the truck.You need to wait it out and really give the truck a chance before you make a final decision.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The problem with my Ranger is the AC it runs most of the time when set on the vent settings not on the AC setting, if I turn the heat up the air compressor is still engaged. The dealer says that is the way it is suposed to work When I went to Ford customer service thy told me that the dealer said it was ok and did nothing for me. Why would I be happy with this truck or Ford?

Fords have been running the A/C in more settings than you'd expect for years. It's irritating, especially if you've got a stick-shift so you can feel the compressor kicking in and out (my experience is that automatics tend to cushion that a bit).

That said, "vent" (dash vents, one notch clockwise from "A/C") is one setting in which the compressor should NOT run. Floor-vents (aka "heat") is the other. "Blend", or both dash and floor vents DOES run the A/C. This is spelled out in detail in the owner's manual.

If your truck is, in fact, running the A/C in "vent", it may be time for a new dealership. (I drive over an hour to a mediocre one with inconvenient hours rather than go to the nearest one...)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
i own a 2006 ranger sport 5spd and yes i feel the compresser when driving but i dont think of it as that big of a deal other wise that the truck is perfect i dont no why you wouldent like the truck its a quick truck drives good gets good gas millege what eles can you say

another thing is i was at my tech school the other day and i decided to look up the recalls on my ranger there was only one recall and its a wiper motor that fails hasent happend to me. i looked up my friends chevy silverodo and there where pages of recalls on the truck.

yeah in floor mode the a/c won't run. idk how long for did that but my 2000 explorer is the same way. as far as it being a "bad truck" does it have an automatic trans or a stick? if auto, its a girl, with manual, its a boy. if its being a bad truck, smack its tail gate, and say "bad boy" or "bad girl" resectivly lol

Meh, I like my '07; Just wish it wasn't the 3.slow..

But

You know what they say about wishes.............

ETA

Mine even did fine with almost 1000lbs of feed in the bed.. (12 50lb sacks and a 200lb?? tub)

Last edited:
They are a real great truck out here - a friend of mine is looking at buying a new one - this will be his third one if he gets it.

ranger.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/ford/ranger/auction-399989595.htm

Asking price: $46,895

This could be yours
for $543 per fortnight* Apply now
Kilometres: less than 1000km
Body: Highlight Silver, Ute
Fuel type: Diesel
Engine: 2953cc, Manual

This vehicle has a fuel consumption of 9.5L per 100km, an annual fuel cost of $2,620 and a fuel economy rating of 3.5 out of 6. (Source: Fuelsaver)
Transmission Details: 5 Speed Manual
Seats: 5

FORD RANGER WILDTRAK DEMO RUN-OUT SPECIAL - ONE ONLY AT THIS PRICE - OUR JULY 2011 REGD SHOWROOM DEMO. !! IN NEW CONDITION !!

THIS IS THE VERY LATEST FACELIFT 4WD RANGER MODEL - WILDTRAK 4DR CREWCAB SPORT UTILITY. THE CURRENT NEW DEALER ON-ROAD RRP IN THIS SPECIFICATION IS $61,985 !!....SAVE THOUSANDS HERE !!

DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY....CALL ONE OF OUR FRIENDLY STAFF RIGHT NOW TO SECURE. Ph (06) 376 7498

OPTIONED HERE WITH THE FOLLOWING FEATURES :
GENUINE FORD 2,250kg TOW BAR
FACTORY RANGER WILDTRAK CARPET FLOOR MATS

VEHICLE SPECIFICATION AND FEATURES :
3000cc TDCi DIRECT INJECTION COMMON RAIL TURBO INTERCOOLED DIESEL ENGINE
ENGINE OUTPUT : 115KW and 380NM
5 SPEED MANUAL
4 DOOR CREWCAB - SEATING FOR 5 OCCUPANTS
DUAL FRONT SRS AIR BAGS
SIDE IMPACT SRS AIR BAGS
ABS ANTI-LOCK BRAKES
AIR CONDITIONING
HI/LOW RATIO 4WD SELECTOR
AUTO RELEASE FRONT WHEEL HUBS
POWER STEER
STAINLESS STEEL REAR UP BUMPER
FACTORY RUNNING BOARDS
ROLLER-SHUT ALLOY HARDLID COVER (LOCKABLE)
FACTORY SPORTS BAR
ROOF RACK RAILS
FACTORY FIT TUFF DECK + 12V OUTLET
FACTORY LEATHER SEAT/SUEDE TRIM
LEATHER GEAR KNOBS
ALLOY SCUFF PLATES
LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
ADDITIONAL 4WD DASH MUTLI-GUAGES
18 INCH ALLOYS
REAR TAILGATE RANGER APPLIQUE
POWER WINDOWS
POWER MIRRORS
6 STACKER IN-DASH CD PLAYER
6 SPEAKER AUDIO
CENTRAL LOCK
KEYLESS REMOTE ENTRY
FACTORY PERIMETER ALARM
FRONT DRIVING LIGHTS
FACTORY CHROME ACCENT PACK
LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
4x LAP AND DIAGONAL SEAT BELTS
1 TONNE PAYLOAD
FACTORY HI-RIDE SUSPENSION
2 x REAR CHILD SEAT ANCHOR POINTS

They are a real great truck out here - a friend of mine is looking at buying a new one - this will be his third one if he gets it.

ranger.jpg

3000cc TDCi DIRECT INJECTION COMMON RAIL TURBO INTERCOOLED DIESEL ENGINE
ENGINE OUTPUT : 115KW and 380NM
5 SPEED MANUAL
4 DOOR CREWCAB - SEATING FOR 5 OCCUPANTS

Yeah I SO wish we could get those here..

????

Are they still body on frame there??

Yep still body on frame - they are pretty solid too as they still have a one ton load rating on the single cab versions.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts