Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help !!!!

I have a 2000 Lariat F250 SD 4x4 crew cab long bed with a 7.3 liter diesel. I am having a problem with it when it rains, it will hiccup during acceleration and stall out when it gets down to low RPM's after idling for a short time. It only happens when it rains, but it also has hiccuped when the humidity is high. The engine has 161,000 miles on it and the turbo is getting weak, but all in all the truck still runs like a champ as long as its not raining. Please if anyone has any ideas of what might be causing this problem, I would be eternally great full. Thank You in advance Rob Sorensen

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Sure it's just in the rain? Sounds like a Cam Position Sensor otherwise.

blacksnapon

Staff member
without being there, and other than the obvious cmp sensor, this one fit the diesel as well.
TSB
04-24-22 LOSS OF POWER OR STUMBLE WHILE DRIVING IN RAIN - 6.8L ENGINE

Publication Date: November 30, 2004

FORD: 1999-2004 Super Duty F-53 Stripped Chas.

This article supersedes TSB 02-09-09 to update the Service Procedure and affected model years.

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2004 F-53 Stripped Chassis vehicles equipped with a 6.8L engine, may ingest water into the air filter while driving in the rain. This can cause loss of power and/or engine stumble.

ACTION:
Replace the air cleaner inlet tube with a revised tube and strap. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove and discard existing shield. 2002-2004 model year vehicles are equipped with a long shield and 1999-2001 model year vehicles are equipped with a short shield.
Remove and discard the existing air inlet tube. To remove, grasp the air inlet tube at the bottom of the air cleaner assembly and pull downward.
Remove and discard existing retention strap.
Install revised air inlet tube into the bottom of the air cleaner assembly and secure with revised strap.
PART NUMBER PART NAME
XC3Z-9F843-AA Air Intake
XC3Z-9E618-AA Strap

NOTE: WARRANTY COVERAGE DOES NOT EXTEND TO THE DIESEL ENGINE COVERAGE OF 5/100. CAUSAL PART IS COVERED UNDER BUMPER-TO-BUMPER ONLY

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
check the engine harness on the valve cover where the 40 pin connector is for raw spots, check the ipr connector for raw wires, make sure the nut is tight against the solenoid on the ipr, unplug cam sensor connector make sure the "gasket" is on the connector maybe even try a cam sensor (there cheap now), check the idm conenctor for water intrusion.

also see if you can get some codes out of it.

Thank you all for your idea's, some I have tried like the cam sensor has been replaced three times just to make sure that it wasn't faulty from the manufacturer, and it has not cleared it up. I have also replaced the valve cover gaskets because one side went bad and the truck ran real rough then. I am going to try replacing the air intake and see if that helps. I will keep you all updated. Thank you all again, Blessings Rob Sorensen

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts