Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Hey everyone, I'm a new member and proud new owner of a 1970 F-100 with a 360 and 3 on the tree... Have already serviced the engine and replaced the original valve cover gaskets. My next project will be to begin replacing bushings... Starting first with the cab to body mount bushings. Was curious, on the cab mount assembly (part containing the inspection plate) is this held down via the cab bushing mounting bolt, or welded on. The LMC part# I am referring to is 49-8810.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to many great conversations with all of you.

Steven

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Welcome aboard glad to have you. Enjoy your stay and post pics whenever possible.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The cab mounts are welded to the frame rails, as original.

The upper/lower rubber cab insulators (Ford called them absorbers) are shaped like a hockey puck and bolt on.

The upper absorber is a different diameter then the lower.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
thanks Bill, but are you talking about part# C5TZ-10112A71
No, because there is no such part number.
Where did you come up with this parts number? It's in-correct.

D3TZ10112A70A .. Right & D3TZ10112A71A .. Left are floor to frame braces for 1973/79 F100/350's.

There is no number like this listed in the 1964/72 Ford Truck Parts Catalog.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
sorry, should have mentioned I got it off Dennis-Carpenter. They are wanting like $90 apiece for these, while LMC wants $30 apiece. Spoke with LMC to see why theirs was so much lower and the lady didn't have an answer.

Which brings me to another question. Is there anything wrong with going the LMC route? LMC, from what I've heard, has a pretty good reputation for restoration parts.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
sorry, should have mentioned I got it off Dennis-Carpenter. They are wanting like $90 apiece for these, while LMC wants $30 apiece. Spoke with LMC to see why theirs was so much lower and the lady didn't have an answer.

Which brings me to another question. Is there anything wrong with going the LMC route? LMC, from what I've heard, has a pretty good reputation for restoration parts.

Can't help you with the part number, but for the LMC DC debate...I have nothing good to say about LMC. There is a major quality issue with them...some guys get lucky, sometimes they even repackage DC stuff...but more often than not, it's low quality china crap that will be garbage in the near future. So the only way I'd go to LMC is if I want to keep replacing something or I want it to break. Before I knew better, I went the LMC route and probably ended up with 5k in garbage parts before I went to DC. DC is by far the best place for aftermarket parts.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I used the LMC mounts on my bronco and they've held up for the past few years in mud/offroading, so they should be decent for the street. Though I can feel my body flexing around when driving down the road, putting my hand up near the roll cage the body moves a good inch or two separate of the cage and cage is welded to the body, so who knows if that's the body mounts or just something inherent to a cage.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru

LMC has a horrible reputation for repro parts. The bad news is, people don't usually find this out till they buy something...then find out the hard way.

Most of the repro parts LMC sells are made in the Orient.

Carpenter has an outstanding reputation for selling quality repro parts, his prices are sometimes higher, because it has everything to do with quality and the fact that the parts are made in the US of A.

Quality can be equated to oats. New oats can be bought at feed stores. Used oats can be found along the road...after the horse passes by.

You get what you pay for. Buy the best and cry only once.

Last edited:

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
I was hoping everyone would say LMC was awesome.... UGHHHHH, my wife is going to kill me... For now, though, It appears that only the mount on the driver's side is rusted, so I may just get one... This all came up because I want to replace the original rubber cab mount bushings with polyurethane one's and noticed that one of the mount's is rusted.

So, since the cab mount bolt actually gets bolted to the iron piece on the frame, what is the purpose of the cab mount? I would actually think the cab mount would be the heavy duty part of the frame itself...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
How old did you say the truck was? Where was it sold new...someplace where they used salt on the roads? How long has it been in MS?

If you found a rusty cab mount, take a gander at the rear spring front and rear hangers.

These parts were in-famous for rusting out. The good news is, they are riveted to the frame rails, the cab mounts are welded on.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
It is a 1970 and, from what I understand, has been in the South all it's life.
But, Bill. Can you tell me the purpose of these cab mounts?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It is a 1970 and, from what I understand, has been in the South all it's life.
But, Bill. Can you tell me the purpose of these cab mounts?
The cab mounts weld to the frame rails, the absorbers that bolt to them act as a cushion betweeen the frame and the cab...cushion the ride.

Without the absorbers, the cab would bolt directly to the frame rails, have the ride of an oxcart.

Unless you have a backside as large as an elephant, you will feel every little bump in the road.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
but I still don't understand why you need the cab mount assembly. Don't the bushings bolt directly to the frame rails?
Since the cab is wider than the frame rails, there are right & left welded on extensions (cab mounts) at the front of the cab the absorbers mount to.

These are shown is Carpenters catalog as C5TZ10112A70A right & C5TZ10112A71A left, but...

These part numbers were invented by Carpenter, because: 1965/72 as original, these welded on extensions were only sold with the frame assy.

You will note in Carpenters catalog that the parts are listed for 1965/79. Ford sold these parts separately for 1973/79's. I typed the part numbers above, but Carpenter does not use the part numbers, even in his 1973/79 catalog.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts