Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

That time again

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well been havin some trouble with the 85 lately in the motor department. Mainly stuff wearin out that has to do with the EFI so.... startin to look for a 351 or another 302 to stroke out and a set of 60s heads to throw on it. The 302 thats in it is a good motor and has handled everthin ive been able to throw at it for a few years but now its startin to be more and more of a problem since im drivin it more often. For starters the computer thats in it is toast and cant be read to see what codes its throwin, all the little plastic vacuum lines are so brittle now ya look at em wrong and they break, bearings are shot in the smog pump, got a leak on the timing cover somewhere and the list goes on and on. So were finally fed up with it and gonna build us a carbed monster and get rid of all that garbage. If we go 351 Id like to stroke it out to a 408 if we go with a 302 itll probly be a 347. Gonna get some money built back up in the bank and then start buyin parts. One thing thats got me stumped though is what were gonna do for fuel delivery since EFI runs at a way higher pressure.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just throwing this out there, but you use the 85 to commute to work right? And you weren't driving the 72 for gas consumption purposes, right? Have you considered the repercussions of going stroker and carbed and trying to dd it? Or are you gonna get another rig to dd?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah I drive the 85 more mainly because its easier to drive in town and it dont go through oil like the 72 does. No matter what truck I take its 50 bucks a week in gas. But with the 72 I also have to buy lead addative for the fuel and it leaks half a quart ever 60 miles and thats a trip into work and back home. Itll get fixed after we get some of the sheet metal took care of. By the way I bought me a 351 to start with today and got it all stripped down and ready for machine work after I get some money built up. 150 bucks for what was basicly a long block. No intake, valve covers or timin stuff. All the essential stuff is there like rockers pushrods, crank, rods, pistons and heads. Its been settin awhile and somebody let water get into the cylinders and it got rusted together so we took the heads off and sprayed a bunch of PB Blaster around the pistons and let it soak for 5 minutes then it broke free with a 1/2 drive ratchet. Heads are 78 and the blocks a 74 all standard and virgin. Ran the numbers on the block and heads and they are 351 stuff couldnt find a stamp on the crank to indicate what it was but the pistons had a 351 cast into the side so we figured that was good enough bein that everything still had a Ford stamp on it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You might wind up having to run new lines for the high pressure fuel...and also maybe weld a return bung into the tank.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I thought you were going to run an new EFI setup...I misread.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Damn...that is cheap Ernie!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts