Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

the very best

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
what type of engine oil is the best when it comes down to: 95+ weather if not higher, hauling, high speeds, long driving. ? time for oil change

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd go with a 10w30...and probably a full Synthetic. Mobil1 comes to mind.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
theres to many variables.

like mileage, health of engine, what engine, and a few other things.

most is 10W-30 or 15W for summer. winter needs either 10W or 5W

i personally use Havoline 10W-30 in summer and 5W-30 in winter.

but when im done with my engine its getting full synthetic Motorcraft 10w-30 year round, after its broke in.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
i think it would be good but overpriced.

Personally, I think it's snake oil. And to be honest, I really don't believe there's a magic oil out there for modern engines. I think you should focus more on viscosity. I think that will be the best for your rig. I mean hell, my 96 lasted a quarter million miles on walmart special oil, and while my father owned it (the first 200,000 miles), it only got 5 oil changes. Maybe it woulda lasted longer if it used a different oil and routine changes, but a quarter mil seems to be right around the life expectancy of those 460's. So with results like that, do oil changes matter, sure...might help you last another 50 or so thousand miles. Personally, I think the hype that goes along with swapping oil every 3,000 miles is bogus. My grandfather who was a Ford Master mechanic for 30 years felt the same way, he said he believed 15k between changes and you'd be fine. Might be different with the newer engines since the late 90's, but prior to that, I'm not convinced every 3-5k is necessary.

Last edited:

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
^yea that's a little what i was thinking and about the 3000 mark i dont think so either, but what about if its a rig doing more than just driving around and it's duty is doing tough jobs?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^yea that's a little what i was thinking and about the 3000 mark i dont think so either, but what about if its a rig doing more than just driving around and it's duty is doing tough jobs?

When you change your oil is your preference. Usually, I do it once a year or 10k, whichever comes first, regardless of use. Typically, it's said the more extreme the use, the more frequently you're supposed change.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts