Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

sulfur contamination

blacksnapon

Staff member
19098 Multiple Vehicles - Sulfur Build-up On Fuel Level Sensor - Add "chevron Techron Plus Fuel System Cleaner" To Fuel And Fill With Fresh Fuel
Gasoline Or Diesel Vehicles May Exhibit Erratic Fuel Gauge Readings, Illuminated Mil, And Dtc P0463, P2068 And/or B1202, B2627 May Be Present. This Condition May Occur Due To Sulfur Contamination Found In Some Local Fuels Which May Cause Temporary Contamination Of The Fuel Sender Card. Before Replacing Any Component, Clear Dtc's, Drain Fuel Tank (if Facilities Permit), Add Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner And Advise Customer To Use An Alternate Brand Of Fuel. The Condition Should Correct Itself In A Few Miles. Advise Customers To Utilize The Trip Odometer To Monitor Fuel Consumption. Replacement Of Components Or Pcm Reprogramming May Not Fix The Concern. If Concern Persists Perform Normal Diagnosis And Repair. Obtain The New Techron Plus Fuel Additive Locally From Your Local Automotive Chemical Supply Source Or Auto Parts Store.
Effective Date: 02/22/2006

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Vince, have you seen this issue at you dealership?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince, have you seen this issue at you dealership?
Many times. The sulfur contamination of a fuel card has been an issue for some time. Many sending units have been replaced for no reason. Think about it, how many people do you know that have had an inaccurate fuel gauge, or an intermittent operating one?

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
INTERESTING. I just had the sending unit in my tank replaced. Is this Techron safe to pour into a diesel, or is there and alternative formula for diesel?

Gunner

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I believe Seafoam is safe for diesel... Says on the can. I should probably leave it to Vince to make the 'right' recommendation. :p

Ryan

One thing yall might wanna check yourself on before panic sets in over your fuel guages; Seems lately Ford guages don't take kindly to having the tanks filled with the Key in the "ON" position, whether the engine is running or not. I know some folk HAVE to have their "Tunes" playing at al times... but the Fuel pump isn't the place for it.
The guages have been known to give false or erratic readings when a person fills up with the ignition on. Just a heads up.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
One thing yall might wanna check yourself on before panic sets in over your fuel guages; Seems lately Ford guages don't take kindly to having the tanks filled with the Key in the "ON" position, whether the engine is running or not. I know some folk HAVE to have their "Tunes" playing at al times... but the Fuel pump isn't the place for it.
The guages have been known to give false or erratic readings when a person fills up with the ignition on. Just a heads up.
I did that once, just once. ROFL I have my FASS Fuel pump (180GPH) with a return right at the top of the filler neck and the pump starts with the key on. Yeah, you can guess that one I'm sure!

So, that pump constantly cycles? I always thought they were more demand-driven, shutting off when they reach pressure. Mine is, but then again, I know nothing of racing pumps/systems

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
So, that pump constantly cycles? I always thought they were more demand-driven, shutting off when they reach pressure. Mine is, but then again, I know nothing of racing pumps/systems
Yep, it runs when the key is on. It's got a return to dump pressure. I don't know why, I just installed it. lol

I almost always fill my diesel with it running. I almost never listen to tunes. I have never had an issue with mine working properly during or after filling. I will also add mine is a 96 . My wifes truck on the other hand always has to have the switch cycled to get a proper reading. Hers is a 2000 Excursion.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
To those who may know... I have a 94 which is probably the same as BudDog's 96. What type of fuel guage contraption is inside the tanks?

Ryan

blacksnapon

Staff member
To those who may know... I have a 94 which is probably the same as BudDog's 96. What type of fuel guage contraption is inside the tanks?

Ryan
Its got the float on the arm setup, with the resistor looking doohickey that the arm contacts for fuel capacity readings.

blacksnapon

Staff member
That is the official ford name for that part. YelloThumbUp

So it acts like a Potentiometer or a Rheostat? Sorry...had to ask.
(Expert BSSING hat on) Thats a Ford certified term for special circumstance operating parts! (BS hat off) Yep, potentiometer is right. Sulfur "coats" this, causing an intermittent operation.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts