Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Performance mods for the 5.4L

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Ok guys...School me. I have spent the last two years emersed in the great diesel debate regarding performance mods.

Now with my brand new 2007 F150 CC with the 5.4L, I am wondering what types of performance mods are available for it.

I know you can do an exhaust and an intake. benefits?

What about tuners for the 5.4L? Similar to the Diesel tuners? More or less or the same amount of adjustable parameters? Same companies do the tuning?

What about warranty work? I know the adage pay to play but is Ford as strict on warranty claims with engines other then their diesels?

The diesel seemed to have reliability issues once modified, though probably more attributable to driving style and abuse then actual faulty modifications?

So lets here it guys. What do you got???

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I know a good mod. Pull that crappy modular engine and install a good ol' pushrod from an older Ford :D Hmmm, maybe a 5.8L?! I've heard that's a pretty good engine :nana: :nana:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Aaron, the way I've heard it is that Ford doesn't allow their engines to breathe. If you open that thing up a little and can get by with not voiding a warranty, do it. It'll be the best power you can get without substantially lowering the reliability of the vehicle. If you want to go beyond that, I'm clueless.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ryan is right for once ;) A better breathing engine is a happier engine :D I'm not sure about the newer design with those modular engines but the old pushrods like Ryan's and mine are heavily restricted from the factory. That might be you're first step in the right direction. Beyond that, I don't know the restrictions of the warranty so I don't really know how far you could potentially take it.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I know you can do an exhaust and an intake. benefits?

Intake and exhaust only get you so far, you may think about a MAF sensor swap, I enjoy the TB spacer on my truck for the sound and it seemed to give me maybe another mpg but i bought it more for the sound since I too came from a diesel and enjoyed the turbo.

What about tuners for the 5.4L? Similar to the Diesel tuners? More or less or the same amount of adjustable parameters? Same companies do the tuning?

IMO the Edge box is the best on the market for our trucks. They give on average 30-40 hp maybe more depending on upgrades already installed. Do some research and see if you can find a shop that can dyno tune a chip for it. I found one around here that will tune it exactly for my truck for $500. The good thing about the chip is if you need to take it to the shop you just unplug it and its stock.

What about warranty work? I know the adage pay to play but is Ford as strict on warranty claims with engines other then their diesels?

Yep as far as I know they will void it bigger that sh*t if they even see a sticker.

The diesel seemed to have reliability issues once modified, though probably more attributable to driving style and abuse then actual faulty modifications?

These motors are pretty good about reliability after modded but there again its all in how you drive 'em.

If you want to get more indepth into the motor i.e. cams, head work and such let me know.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Aaron, my advice is save your money, and your warranty!!!! With the CAFE standards today ALL vehicle manufacturers design their intakes, etc. to be as efficient as possible. Don't believe the BS claims from these aftermarket yoyos! I've even heard reports that the K&N airfilter drop-ins cause turbulence, which throws off the MAF sensor readings......

However, if you have money in your pocket that's burning a hole, send it to me, and that will give you about the same increase in performance as 99%
of the performance mods out there!!YelloThumbUp

Just my 2 cents on performance mods!!!!

Pull that crappy modular engine and install a good ol' pushrod from an older Ford :D Hmmm, maybe a 5.8L?!

Hey! Don't hate on modular motors :nono: My 4.6 does just fine :p

I agree with Bob for the most part, but if your looking for a cool sound and smoother acceleration, you might try slapping some better flowing exhaust on there.

sorry about being so late man

best wishes with your new truck and it's lack of needing a extension cord every where you go .

tuner wise sct and diablo have the best tuners that can do the most along with being able to be custom tuned.
yes open up the intake with a caik and the exhaust with a nice kit of your choice and with af150 gaser there are lots made.

with the tuner if you go custom DO NOT under any condition remove any of the torqe control management, the shafts inside that trans can not take it and that goes for any aftermarket bulit proof shaft made. and thats something i can prove very well from the many sitting on the show counter at the shop i work in.
"http://karkraft.com/ hs a lot of great parts includeing any one like me who just has to have that odd ball in a street rod a dual quad 5.4 4 valve, yes guys we can carb a ford mod motor now"

if your looking for some good priced ford take off parts try www.newtakeoff.com

mSaLL150

California Chapter member
For those with the 3V 5.4L engine:

When deciding on a programmer, you MUST go with custom tuning. An "off-the-shelf" programmer like the Edge, superchips, banks etc do NOT give you safe A/F ratios, especially if you have an aftermarket intake. These engines run lean from the factory, and these programmers just lean them out even more, often to quite dangerous levels.

I personally run custom tunes from Troyer Performance. I used to have the Edge, and it didnt even come close to comparing to custom tuning.

Some options you have:
www.troyerperformance.com uses xcal2 or xcal3 for custom tune files
www.vmptuning.com uses xcal2 or xcal3 for custom tune files
www.powerhungryperformance.com uses "Gryphon" module (rebadged Edge) for custom tune files.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I don't know jack about the new Ford engines.
I've heard allot about the Banks,Roush Ken bell kits.
If your looking for the top O the line mods I would say these are it...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts