Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FE Id

I'm trying to ID an FE without trearing it down. The block casting is C7ME-A and the head castings are C8AE-H which I already know means that it could be any of the FE's. The serial (vin) number on the left rear is 8G124734. Can any one direct me to a place to ID it by that serial number?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I dunno how to id via the info you got, but if you measure the stroke, that could tell you alot. Take the #1 plug out, stick a dowel in there, mark the stroke at it's furthest point, then measure. I'm not up on FE's, so I'm not sure on stroke length...maybe someone can help out.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
The casting numbers wont tell ya a thing and if I remember right the serial number is just a number from the foundary. The only way to tell is to measure the stroke. The casting number on your block is the same number for alot of differnt motors Ive had 390s, a 410 and a 428 all with that same number the heads ya got are good heads but nothin special. The stroke lengths for these motors are 3.5 inches for a 352/360, 3.78 inches for a 390/406/427 and 3.98 inches for a 410/428 The only other thing that changes with em is the bore size. Another thing to look for is on the back of the block the could be a casting of an A or C these are only for 428s though.

Thanks for the replies. After much more reading, I found out that the 8 digit serial number stamped on the left rear is just the last 8 of the vin number from the vehicle they come out of. Since I don't have a clue as to what that vehicle was, it doesn't help either. This engine was rebuilt over 10 years ago for a truck that has been in a shed for at least that long and was never installed. The man that had both died long ago so no one knows for sure what it is.

Thanks for the replies. After much more reading, I found out that the 8 digit serial number stamped on the left rear is just the last 8 of the vin number from the vehicle they come out of. Since I don't have a clue as to what that vehicle was, it doesn't help either. This engine was rebuilt over 10 years ago for a truck that has been in a shed for at least that long and was never installed. The man that had both died long ago so no one knows for sure what it is.

It might be the original engine of that truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts