Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1990 Ranger won't crank back up.

Hello...new to the Truck Fanatic Forum. I have a 1990 Ranger with a 2.9L v6. I have had a few issues with the truck knocking off at stop signs, but it would always crank back up. Last week, I was taking my kids to eat and when we came back out to the truck, it wouldn't crank. I changed the fuel filter a few months ago and today I replaced the fuel filter. Same result, truck won't crank. It turns over and I can also hear the fuel filter make noise when I first turn the key...any ideas?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Do you mean the engine will turn over but not fire? Have you checked spark?

Changed plugs and wires a few months ago also and didn't even think of that as a potential issue. Yes, it does turn over, but doesn't crank. I'll have to check it out later tonight or in the morning. It's now pouring rain. Thanks for the tip.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sucks when it rains and puts everything on hold. Welcome to the site BTW. Post what you find and more people should be along shortly with more help and suggestions. Lots of knowledgable people here.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Take out the plugs and see if they are fouled with fuel. If they are, you may still not be getting spark.

Ryan

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Like the others said check for spark if you are getting spark check for fuel.Depress the schrader vavle and see if you have fuel at the rail.
If you have fuel at the rail are your injectors firing? If you have a Noid light you can check them. If not spray a little starting fluid or gas in the throttle body and see if it fires.
Also is the rotor and distributer cap good?
could be the Tfi module they are a known problem with a no start condition.

OK...I have no spark on the plugs. I put a screwdriver in the plug wires and held about 1/8 inch from the engine and had someone turn over the engine. No spark. I do have fuel to the schrader valve. I have changed my coil also. I forgot to mention that. My Plugs were clean an fairly dry when I pulled them out. Still not running.

Gotta say....THANKS for all the help! Instead of testing the TFI module or EEC relay, I went ahead and replaced them both. They were less than $70 combined. To my surprise, it fired right up. Oh, I did have to buy a special tool tool pull off the Ignition module. Thanks again!!!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Glad you solved your problem and for not much money. And you got a new tool to add to the collection. YelloThumbUp

Wow...second week in a row, took the kids to eat and the Ranger won't crank again. Exact same symptoms. Gonna have to get it towed how before I can check it out again.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Maybe the kids are pranking you for not taking them to the place of their choice smilietease

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Maybe the pick up coil is going bad if you have no spark again. Also maybe have the module tested to make sure you didn't purchase a defective one.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Could be a defective TFI.
Might be wiring check all the wires going to the TFI for breaks. Also check the relay wires and all the grounds.
There is a small wire going to the battery that corrodes make sure it is attached this wire you may have wiggled while replacing the relay.
Try a wiggle test on all the wires and see if it will fires.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts