Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What water pump do I have?

FTF'er

There are many things I know very little about, and the 460 is one of them. I'd like to learn some of the history of the water pumps and accessories used on the 460 through the years.

Are there different length water pump and accessory packages that have been used through the years?

What is the shortest water pump and accessory package ever used? (I'm wanting to fit this in a Ranger, so I need SHORT!)

Was a single serpentine belt ever used?

Here's what I have:

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

FTF'er
Not much love for the ol 460 around here?

FTF'er
If space is that tight, why not run a electric pump?

I might as well use the standard issue pump. It's gonna be a daily driver, so I'll need an alternator and power steering pump anyway.

The only difference I know of is the snout size that the pulley goes on.

There are two sizes. 5/8" and 3/4"

Keep the pump, go electric fan. Maybe even move the radiator to the front side of the support.

FTF'er
The only difference I know of is the snout size that the pulley goes on.

There are two sizes. 5/8" and 3/4"
Thanks, that saves me a lot of time from searching and measuring, and there aren't very many 460 equipped vehicles around to check out anymore.

Keep the pump, go electric fan. Maybe even move the radiator to the front side of the support.

Ya, an electric fan will be used for sure. I'd like to use a Ford factory application twin fan set up.

I have two radiators so far to pick from. One of them is a factory F-series 3 core, and the other is a brand new 80's Chevy truck 4 core (it was actually used for just 1 week, then never used again). The cores are both the same height, but the GM core is about 4 or 5 inches wider and an inch thicker! The GM radiator has bigger tanks, too. I plan to cut a lot out of the front and hopefully fit the GM 4 core in there and use a Ford twin electric fan. I'd have to do a lot of cutting though!

IMAG0030.jpg

Ford Truck Articles