Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I've seen it all!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Guy just brought in a 55 f100. He's wanting brakes fixed, and its slow starting. This thing is a dead ringer for Brians truck.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My buddy and I have often talked about bringing his '30 Model A down to the local Ford shop for some mundane task like an oil change.

Maybe after it goes back together again, we will.

Guy just brought in a 55 f100. He's wanting brakes fixed, and its slow starting. This thing is a dead ringer for Brians truck.

No it can't be. The 55 cab is different (slantcab). :rofl:

We need pics...and you need to accidently leave a flier for this site under the seat or in the glove box. He will find it months from now and won't have a clue..... :rolling laugh:

I wonder if I have seen the truck. Most of them around that area were in Branson. A lot of them are in the club: "show me F-100s"

So are you going to fix the brakes (easy job)? What engine is in it? The 55 had a inline 6 and the first Y-block (239?). It should be 6 volt if it is stock...that is part of the starting issue usually. The system has to be in good shape and they will start ok.

If you (a ford dealership-I mean) can't find the parts numbers...just ask Bill. He knows them all.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
One piece of advice-

I don't think your diagnostic machine will plug right into that truck. :D

blacksnapon

Staff member
No it can't be. The 55 cab is different (slantcab). :rofl:

We need pics...and you need to accidently leave a flier for this site under the seat or in the glove box. He will find it months from now and won't have a clue..... :rolling laugh:

I wonder if I have seen the truck. Most of them around that area were in Branson. A lot of them are in the club: "show me F-100s"

So are you going to fix the brakes (easy job)? What engine is in it? The 55 had a inline 6 and the first Y-block (239?). It should be 6 volt if it is stock...that is part of the starting issue usually. The system has to be in good shape and they will start ok.

If you (a ford dealership-I mean) can't find the parts numbers...just ask Bill. He knows them all.
He trailered it in (no brakes), it has wisconsin farm tags on it. I imagine this is where we find out how many "mechanics" we still have working here.

Ahh....NM. I have not seen it then.

All the brake parts are available. I know your at a ford dealer, but NAPA carries almost all of them and keeps them in stock. Everything was re-done on mine by the PO except the master. NAPA even has the original ones of them (I assume re-built) on the shelf here.

EDIT: If it is anything like the WI vehicles I have seen and worked on...

He needs to replace everything from the master cylinder to the wheel cylinders (lines too). Then replace all the little springs and gizmos in there when the new brake shoes go on. That will get costly paying somone to do it, especially a dealer. Hope his hubs are ok and can be cleaned up. Those I am not sure are available new.

I hope this guy has lots of bucks if he has to pay somone even for little stuff like brakes.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That would make it VERY slow starting...

It turns out the Y block is froze tight. We're going to fill the cylinders with oil and try and free it up.

It would be neat to see another Y-block back on the road, but...

If he is paying a dealership to do all the work, he must be loaded.

Even paying a small shop to do things like brake work is expensive.

Most of the ones who have the old trucks do as much of their own work at they can. I guess that is not true. There are a ton of "show trucks" that the owners have never turned a wrench on.

BTW: Where are the pics? :wavey:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts