Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Turtle Wax and 3rd Gear Problems (not the same problem haha)

Sven7

Derping
I haven't been around in awhile. Thought I'd stop by and say what's going on.

First of all, last fall I went driving with a friend (guy friend, settle down) and when shifting into 3rd, I heard a strange grinding sssdhdhchcchchchchchtthhthktkthchchc noise. This happened a couple times, so I shifted back down and limped home. I am wondering what this could be, as the other three gears work fine. People have suggested shift linkage and something else I can't remember :)headbang: ). What could it be?

Also, I got some turtle wax polishing stuff for my Rabbit's new trim (the very early '75-'76 "swallowtail" stuff) and decided to pull the truck down and have a try.

The $30 random orbit buffer thingy did almost nothing, so I ended up buffing with a dirty bath towel, and I **** you not, it worked a lot better. smilietease

So pics. I'm not done yet, but it's looking good.

4606694891_232888a07a.jpg

4607317166_ac0db606a8.jpg

smilieFordlogo

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
hey everyone makes those types of mistakes dude. dont worry bout it.

So true... My first car, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, was having computer issues (or so I though). I had it towed away to a shop and looked at. Ends up the battery just needed replaced. A $200 mistake!

Good thing your's wasn't an expensive happening!

Sven7

Derping
Thanks guys. I know on VWVortex I would get flamed into next week.

Here are some pics of it all shined up!

4614402464_5ab7ebdbb2_b.jpg

4614397796_e8a35f41d7_b.jpg

4614409990_c902da3d7d_b.jpg

4614406150_b10ebbceef_b.jpg

I went cruising downtown yesterday and today went to pick up a sheetmetal brake with my dad. Fun fun fun! :D

Sweet! Might want to go ahead and change that fluid and filter first chance ya get, now- Not saying anything BAD happened- but that noise CAME from somewhere, so just a word to the wise. Low fluid can cause forward planetary gear issues...
Great ol' truck!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Digging the pics and digging the fresh wax job. Might wanna give the inside of the bed a nice coat as well. Glad you figured out your problem. How low was the fluid, how quick did the level drop...might be a bigger problem.

Not to jump ahead on this, but there's an o-ring on the dipstick tube that rots out sometimes- and if you park on any sort of incline to the right side or facing downhill, fluid has been known to escape en masse!

Sven7

Derping
Interesting sentiments, guys. I have never checked it as long as I've had it (2005 ish). I didn't polish the bed, cuz it's a lot more work, and we haul a shiz ton of stuff with it. I'm picking up a roll of pics tomorrow, and then you can see lol

I will check it though. Not sure where that dipstick is. I took out a threaded plug thing on the passenger side.

Sven7

Derping
Oh! I forgot to update this. Sorree!!! The following (minus the rabbit pic) are film.

4672122797_b18331524d_b.jpg

4672750376_c570c067d6_b.jpg

4672127233_4ac57d5687_b.jpg

4672754126_195c308fc1_b.jpg

Took my "new" cruiser bike in the truck bed to a show today. apologies for overexposure.
4731099314_22c9c91aab_b.jpg

I was cruising around, and noticed this chick taking pics of my truck. I heard her say, "this is MY truck. I love it." (not claiming ownership, but saying it fits her well)

So I'm like, hey that's my truck.

O rly?

Yeah, you wanna sit in it?

Uh, no thanks...

Then her mom started talking with me about it.

The chick must have thought I am 16. But I'm 20, and short.

Missed opportunities. I'll go to another show on Friday and see what's up.

This truck is so fun. I love it. I lit up the tires on the way home. Easy Peasy. I can't do THAT in the Rabbit. Which, btw, is now riding on black steelies, below. <3

4710538450_fda4de1477_b.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Besides the last pic (hehe), they're awesome. They have a very nostalgic feel about them.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts