Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Diesel swap

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Okay, so I finally got dad's PSD running but it's a tad low on power and after it warms up and under normal acceleration it'll start a cloud of gray/white smoke that smells heavily of fuel. Bricks says it could be HG or a cracked head(s), any other ideas on what it could be?

He hasn't kept up the maintenance (bar has been more important I guess) and last August he went camping and coming home headed up a hill it started to overheat and instead of stopping he kept going till it stopped on its own... Took over half an hour for the temp light to go out and the gauge to drop back to normal...

I've been running it about half an hour at a time (usually till I get the aforementioned smoke) then shut it down, haven't had any discoloration of the oil.

Had to replace the IDM and the CPS to get it going...

With that, he's wanting to swap the engine out of the '97 into the '96 and I'm either going to rebuild and swap the '96 engine back into the '97 OR I have access to a 7.3 out of a '00.

A) What's it cost for parts for the average rebuild of a 7.3 PSD?

B) Can the PSD out of the '00 be swapped in easily and work properly?

Thanks guys.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
even though i talked to you last night i figured id post up for a reference point.

to do the swap if what i suggested last night is not to your liking. You can swap. just make sure you got the ecm and sensors...

but as far a your issue.

first cylinder contribution
Possible injectors.
I think its the oil pressure manifold for the heui system failing somewhere.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts