Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bronco Top paint

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright fellas, I'm gonna paint the top of my Bronco sometime over the next week and I'm just looking for color suggestions. I'm looking to stay in the family of tan, but I'm not sure if I should go with a really light tan that's almost white on up to a really dark tan that's almost khaki. Here's a pic of my top now:

DSC01417.JPG

It's a little light in the pics, and a little more yellow now. So please suggest away.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not entirely sure if I'd go all white, nothing else pertaining to the Bronco is white...but I would go with a light tan shade.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
My vote is white. Should carry a good contrast.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
First off, I like the idea of white to be honest. Tan could look alright to, though.

Secondly.. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has a spare tire thats alot smaller than the tires on the truck are. :rofl:

also, you have sliding rear windows?

and I assume your running 35's, with 4-6" on lift?

Yeah, none of this pertains to the color of the top.. but I just noticed it. smilietease

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First off, I like the idea of white to be honest. Tan could look alright to, though.

Maybe I'll do half and half and see which I like better, because I do in fact like the white tops. But white would not go with anything on this Bronco, interior is Brown and black, exterior is dk brown metallic.

Secondly.. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has a spare tire thats alot smaller than the tires on the truck are. :rofl:

You are th only one...now. That pic is probably a year and a half old. Since that pic, I blew two of the tires that are under it in that pic. I got a smoking deal on new (old style) 35" BFG MT's and a 35" Pro Comp spare. Someone thought slicing the spare was a good idea, so now I have one of the tires in the pic as a spare. Now you know that Bronco's tire history. Oh, I did test run some used tires when I worked at Galloway's...but that was only a few days at a time. Interesting, huh:headbang:

also, you have sliding rear windows?

Yeah sure do. Seems to be a big debate over on FSB. Some guys say those rear sliders are uber rare. I see so many of them, I leave them.

and I assume your running 35's, with 4-6" on lift?

35x12.5x15 BFG MT KM's with 4" of lift. Rims are 15x8 and I'm unsure of the back spacing, but at full lock I slightly rub the RA's. I'm planning on giving Deaver a call and going 6" springs all the way around and bumping up to 38's.

Yeah, none of this pertains to the color of the top.. but I just noticed it. smilietease

Tis life on FTF.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I have seen slider window tops on craigslist, and I've only searched for parts a couple times.

Yeah...not too hard to find. I rarely even open mine. I figure if I want air back there, I'll just take the top off. Hell, it's almost quicker to do that. From not opening the windows that often, they get sticky and seal shut. Not to mention, they're hard to reach and don't do anything for the driver. The only plus I see to them are for passengers and I don't like carrying too many of them.

Last edited:
Yeah sure do. Seems to be a big debate over on FSB. Some guys say those rear sliders are uber rare. I see so many of them, I leave them.

Only time they are rare is if you find a set that the wing windows aren't all rusted out on. The problem is the lower spring for the wing window rusts and then the wing window is useless unless you know how to fix it.

Don't go with white, look like crap IMO. I would either go with cream like my old Bronco or a light tan.

dsc008291.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the input guys. And thanks for the clarification Scott.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dragging this back up...gonna get the top done this weekend, any suggestions on brand or type of paint to use on a fiberglass top? This is gonna be a rattle can job, so I was thinking something from the Krylon outdoor lineup.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
why not paint the hard top white, then make a soft top out of some tan canvas.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts