Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Electric Fan

Would a Electric Fan work in a 6.0L. can it be done. Just asken :cooldude:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
my only concern would be the cooling capacity. It would certainly take a really really really good electric fan(s) to do it justice. I'm curious to see what kind of responses you get.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You might be able to fab up a dual Mark VIII fan job, it would pull somewhere near 7000-8000 cfm with both fans on high speed, although it would also pull somewhere near 60-80 amps constant (not to mention a 150-200 amp spike on startup). With a super heavy duty alternator (or maybe 2 :D) I'm sure it could be done :D

I have the Taurus fan on my truck and it cools my 351 AND THEN SOME! I barely ever run it and when I do it cools my engine to the bone!

I saw that they have them for the 7.3 I like the idle of it. Just how much CFM does the 6.0L need to keep at a good running temp.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The size of the radiator needs a huge amount of airflow. The fan is about 2'across. Dont know how many electric fans you can fit in there.

Part of this argument also has to do with what you're doing with you're truck. If you're constantly pulling a 15000# trailer in Arizona heat I'd say don't even think about it, the stock fan draws something like 12000 CFM when it's on. However if your truck is usually empty and you're just cruising around lightly loaded electrics maybe worth looking at. Although the gains in fuel mileage/efficiency would likely never outweigh the costs.

Also if you do a lot of highway miles the air getting pushed through the radiator is usually plenty to keep the engine at reasonable operating temps.

12000 CFM is a lot of air I think that be hard for dc motors. Well I was Just thinking about it. thanks for the input.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Interesting.........I was thinking of adding a fan to augment the stock one when I was pulling my trailer..........sounds to me like there isn't much help an aftermarket electric fan can provide........

Gunner

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I hate to bring up a GM product, however! GM uses an e-fan on their basic 1500 Silverado, but if you get a towing package on it, or go to the 2500, or 3500 series, they go back to the mechanical clutch fan.

There is NO WAY an e-fan setup will have the cooling capacity, or be as reliable as a mechanical clutch fan, period!! There is absolutely no advantage to an e-fan!!!

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
tell that to a 6.0 when it starts to run hotter than normal.

Exactly! Many times the Visconic fan on the 6.0 engages at speeds above 60MPH while pulling a heavy load in the hills or hot desert.

That the only time that I've hear the fan come on. When towing up hill.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts