Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

jack mounting

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Needed a lug wrench the other day, and the only one around was the factory one in my '09 Ranger, which is a 2-door Supercab.

Mounted the same place as in my '97- behind and below the right jumpseat, with one clamp to hold the jack and wrench in place.

It was a piss-poor design 13 years ago, and it hasn't improved with age. Anyway, when I tried to put it all back together, I boogered the threads on the hold-down screw. My fault, not Fords, so I'm not making this a warranty issue. (Well, the root cause is their bad design, but I knew that before I screwed it up, so I'll own it.)

Anybody ever fab up a better bracket to hold these things in place? I'll go take a picture in a minute, here, if you aren't familiar with the design.

I know both the factory wrench and jack are practically useless...but I'd rather keep 'em in the truck as back-up, in case my better jack/wrench get removed to make space, and I need a jack before they get put back in. It's not like they're going to do me any good anywhere else, or gain me usable space if I take them out. (I have actually done an emergency brake job in my '97 supported only on the factory jack. Gotta do what you gotta do to get home.)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'll go take a picture in a minute, here, if you aren't familiar with the design.

Long minute...damn rechargable batteries for the camera are about wore-out- won't hold a charge worth a darn.

Anyway:

Just the lug wrench:

Jack and wrench properly positioned:

With "hold-down clamp"...that clamp goes there, but turned so the screw is more or less vertical. I pooched the threads at the bottom of the screw; not sure if I wrecked 'em on the truck side, too, or not...

EDIT: I wasn't drinking when I took those pictures, but it would take me half a page to explain what direction is what...if it matters, I'll try to get a shot from further back so you can see where all this is in the cab, tomorrow.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Nobody?

You guys gonna make me actually figure out how to fix (and improve) it myself?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
you are the engineer.smilieneenar 'hiding_smilie'

Yeah, but I'm a civil engineer. If I just "add more concrete" I'll probably regret it eventually. That would stop it from rattling around loose like it is now, though...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
get out the tap and die set and fit the damage. Not sure how to improve it.I always wrapped mine in a cloth that I sprayed well with wd40 stops rust and rattles.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
get out the tap and die set and fit the damage. Not sure how to improve it.I always wrapped mine in a cloth that I sprayed well with wd40 stops rust and rattles.

I'm thinking maybe replace the screw with a stud and wing nut, re-using the "clamp" part of the bracket.

Exactly how I do it will depend how lazy I'm feeling, but it should be a slight improvement for not much more effort than repairing the original.

I've never had any rust issues with the jack in the other truck, since it's completely with in the cab. The sound insulation in the new one is better (spray foam instead of a plastic bag filled with what feels like fiberglass), and also helps to hold the whole mess from moving around...shouldn't rattle much at all if I do it right.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts