Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear Main write-up

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anybody have a link or write-up to rear main seal replacement write-up for a 351M/400? Thanks.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Chiltons/haynes instructions below.
1. remove oil pan
2. replace remain seal
reinstall oilpan

How I changed mine
Remove oilpan. You may have to loosen motor mounts and lift motor for oil pan to be removed.
remove rear cap tap out rear main seal( they actually make a puller for this but it isn't needed.)
replace bearing cap and re tighten to specs
install new pan gasket
tighten oil pan gasket to spec
re tighten motor mounts if engine was lifted.
Should be able to replace a rear main in these motors in about one hour if you don't rush it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks fellas. That's the main reason I was asking, because some guys say you need to remove the engine, others don't...some guys say it's alot more complicated than others. But Randy's way is what I was planning on doing.

Thanks.

I don't mess with rear main seals unless I absolutely have to... a few drops of oil don't bother me - keeps the rust away haha

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't mess with rear main seals unless I absolutely have to... a few drops of oil don't bother me - keeps the rust away haha

Yeah a few drops don't bother me either, but when it turns into a 4-6" diameter puddle over night, then it starts to bug a guy.

I know you have to pull the motor in my truck, dont no d*ick for Sh*t when it comes to gen 6's tough... :D

HAHAHAAHAH...Don quick question, can't you just remove the cross member to drop the pan?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I can actually pull the lower intake off to drop the pan enough to get it done, but once your that far, its motor mounts left so its easier to pull the engine and have it on a stand, as for the cross member, i dont belive so...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
If this is on the 77 or 79 the engine stays in.
I have replaced more than a few with out much trouble at all on the older ones.
Newer stuff I agree easier to pull the engine.

Its hard to do, but you defenitively can do it without lifting the engine, i have removed a couple of oilpans without doing so...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the input fellas. You're all a good confidence boost...except for Don.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im speaking from experience on my truck, rides today you have to have a masters in thinking like china men do...

Your truck, simple knowledge can get you very far...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Im speaking from experience on my truck, rides today you have to have a masters in thinking like china men do...

Your truck, simple knowledge can get you very far...

China-Man thinking FTMFL. FYI, I was just busting you lady balls.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Lady Balls FTMFL!!!!!!!!!!!
But i guess havin lady balls is better than havin athumb sized deck...
Thread cross referencing FTMFW!

(am i learning good jedi master?)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I just swelled up with pride Don. You may have what it takes after all.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts