Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.4 noise

blacksnapon

Staff member
Folks, I've got one of them there 08 6.4 f350s with a high pitched squeal at high load, and 30 psi boost. Rusty had one a while back with somewhat the same symptoms. I believe its cab pullin' time!

blacksnapon

Staff member
This noise reminds me of a blower motor going bad, how they squeal. He had to put 2 trailers on the truck before it would make the noise.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Do I need to find a cutting torch?:flames: :horrormovie: :D

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
I remember hearing of similar problems on the 6.0... IIRC cracked y-pipes were an issue. Are you thinking a similar problem exists in the 6.4 or do you think it's something more serious?
There is three expansion joints back there, one on each up pipe, and one after the diesel oxidation catalyst. I'm betting its heating up and blowing out of one of them.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Could just be me in my 6.0L with 106,000 miles blowing by the guy!!!

That was me "squeeling" at him as I blew past him!!!

Could be defective spark-plugs????:rofl:
:beer:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I'd guess he's either throwing it too much NOS or he's using to high a Methanol mix. 'hah'

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
Folks, I've got one of them there 08 6.4 f350s with a high pitched squeal at high load, and 30 psi boost. Rusty had one a while back with somewhat the same symptoms. I believe its cab pullin' time!

I wouldn't pull the cab if it's inlet pipes. Removing the trans. is all that is necessary. I'm doing a high pressure fuel pump and a set of injectors right now with the cab on. Not nearly as bad as rumor has it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts