Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What do you think this is?

This is what I found in my carb bowls, I couldn't get the truck to idle correctly so I pulled the carb and this is what I found once it's dried out its just like a powder.

Attachments

• Ford parts 3 0033.jpg

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
possible that the fuel filter disintegrated/collected in there?

Ryan

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Looks kinda like a old timey sugar my grandma used, can't remember the name.,
Could be a couple of things, I'd run me a clear filter to make sure there isn't some thing in your gas.
Drive it around and get the gas to sloshing and then check the filter and see if its some thing getting kicked up in the tank.
bad gas can F! your engine.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Was the truck ever stored for a long period of time. If so my guess is the gas gummed up in the carb, then over time broke down into the powder you see....

If not, bad gas or fuel filter issues... as previously stated.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I"ve seen some bad carbs before but never see gum turn to powder well powder that loose and I don't think I can see any signs of gumming in the pic, if so its a new one for me.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Another thought is, was the truck ever gassed up while the tanker was at the station or right after (under 24 hours)? If so it could be crap sucked up through the gas pump from the stations storage tank. Ive been there done that and had to drain the fuel into gas cans and filter it through a white cotton rag three or four times and it cleared it up.

The truck was parked for about one year but the carb was removed drained and has been in the garage. there was some gummy stuff on the inlet filters and I have chaged a few fuel filters. I've only owned the truck for 2 years and only drove it for one but it never seemed quite right. I'm thinking of dropping the tank now and cleaning otherwise I might be chasing this problem for a while.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Just put a couple clear filters in the line that are within easy reach so you can look at em and see whats in the gas then just keep changin em when they get dirty. Id also rebuild that carb and put it in some dip so it gets everthin out.

Well I ended up dropping the tank and got about a gallon and a half of the dirty gas out of it. There was quite a bit of the same stuff I found in the carb in the tank and I tried pouring it through a kim tuff towel but it would go right through. Truck runs good now with the rebuilt carb and clean tank!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts