Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to get doorpanel off '78 Bronco?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I can't figure it out.

I'v taken all the screws I can see out of it. (window crank, door handle, two screws in the hand grip thing) but it still won't come loose... I pulled on it as hard as I felt comfortable thinking it might snap in, but didn't wanna risk breaking it.

And I asked this in my other thread too, but figured it would get more attention in a new thread...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Ok then just pry on it with a flat tip screwdriver gently. Works best if ya just get the tip of the screwdriver blade behind it then twist the scredriver handle.

Alright, thats kinda what I figured, just wanted to make sure... I'll see what I can do with it tommorrow.

Thanks for the help.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Yep just dont pry too hard or itll break that brittle old plastic.

Yep, I actually had a screw driver behind it today prying a little bit and realized just how easy it is to chip the plastic. I'll try it again tommorrow though, now that I know thats actually how it comes off. smilieeatndrink

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah if ya cant get it to come off by twistin it get two long ones and put em better than half way in about a foot apart and then gently pry on both of em at the same time. If that still dont work go around the whole thing and do it little by little like a hub cap or bike tire.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Yeah if ya cant get it to come off by twistin it get two long ones and put em better than half way in about a foot apart and then gently pry on both of em at the same time. If that still dont work go around the whole thing and do it little by little like a hub cap or bike tire.

Alright.. I'll definitely try that.

Let ya know tommorrow if it works out for me, and how much stuff I break. 'hah'

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You guys do realize there are clips back there right? Depending on what has been done, they could be the plastic style push in clips that look like a pine tree and should pull out...or they could be the metal style clips which take some finesse to maneuver out of the holes of the panel.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If your not very careful the clips will break the plastic slots on the door panel and you will have to jb weld the clips back o the door.

Exactly...so Tyler, if you're not 100% sure you what kind of clips you have, lift the rear, bottom of your panels and take a peak...you should see a white plastic piece or a metal piece. If they're plastic, then just pull/pry. If they're metal, it's not difficult to remove either you just need to maneuver the panel with the shape of the clips in combination of pulling/prying.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Exactly...so Tyler, if you're not 100% sure you what kind of clips you have, lift the rear, bottom of your panels and take a peak...you should see a white plastic piece or a metal piece. If they're plastic, then just pull/pry. If they're metal, it's not difficult to remove either you just need to maneuver the panel with the shape of the clips in combination of pulling/prying.

90% sure their metal, I'll try to find out tommorrow. Didn't have time today cause it was raining this morning and we wasn't home this afternoon.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
There is handy little tool for removing the door panels, only $5-$10 and puts equal pressure on both side of the clip...less chance of damage with this.

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=569

Might be worth getting... I'll see what I can do with a screw driver first. If I feel like I'm gonna tear it up, I'll go try and find one of them things.

Still ain't had a chance to look at it, been raining past few days.

Did find out tonight that my speaker cuts out at about 90% volume... and won't come back on till I turn it back down. :bs:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm pretty sure HF has an even less expensive version. Your stereo could be as simple as a loose/bad connection, it's hard to say.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'm pretty sure HF has an even less expensive version. Your stereo could be as simple as a loose/bad connection, it's hard to say.

Dang, I was just at HF last week...

And I'm not to worried about it cutting out at high volume, should keep me from blowing the speakers. smilieeatndrink

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Napa or other places like that carry them as well.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts