Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

98 Ford Ranger

Im 16 and my first truck is going to be a 1998 ford ranger 4x4 everything is stock so far. i was wondering about putting 31" tires on it and body lift so it wont rub. is all this ok? or what do i need to do. i like swampers as far as tires but any suggestions are appreciated

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Welcome to FTF!

Rangers make great first trucks. What's it got under the hood?

I'm not a fan of body lifts, personally. I'm also not sure you'd need one to clear 31" tires...but I can't say for sure.

im not really sure what all its has its been run to death its not in my posession yet but will be within the next month so i couldnt tell you for sure. i know its a 4x4. and i heard stock 4x4 comes with a 2 in. lift stock

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
i heard stock 4x4 comes with a 2 in. lift stock

I guess you could call it that. To me, nothing has EVER had a "lift" stock- a lift is, by definition, a change to the factory ride height. The 4x4s do ride higher than the 2wds, though.

If it's beat and you haven't gone over it yet...I wouldn't be thinking too hard about big new tires yet, though. Start with the basics- runs good, steers good, brakes good, inspectable if you have to sticker it....all that kinda stuff.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
First off, welcome to FTF! :wavey:

Welcome!

Dont know from personal experience, but just looking at it, you might just get away with them without any lift. and if they dont, coil spacers for front.

I agree with Ian on both points. Im no fan of body lifts. But if your not to worried about suspension performance, then it is an option.

Also, if you havent gotten it yet, then i would wait until you get it before you start worrying about tires. drive it for a while. see if anything is wrong with it before you add a larger tire. larger tires put a greater strain on everything. engine, trans, suspension, steering, brakes, ect. while 31" isnt that much of a jump in size, it still could have an impact

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts