Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

76 360 power loss

hey, im new to this site and was hoping for some info. i have a 76 360 that seems to run fine until i get to a little incline when it dogs on me. it acts like it wants to load up but carb has been checked. what steps should i go to now, thanks

thats what i was thinking but had a guy put exhaust gasket on so didnt know if vaccuum line would do it if it got unplugged and it sounds like a good place to start for an novice

hey, im new to this site and was hoping for some info. i have a 76 360 that seems to run fine until i get to a little incline when it dogs on me. it acts like it wants to load up but carb has been checked. what steps should i go to now, thanks

Double check the carb's float level.

I agree with my fellow fanatics. Timing and/or vacuum issue. Not necessarily a vacuum leak as you would likely notice that at an idle. But perhaps the vacuum line to your distributor is cracked, OR, perhaps the vacuum advance assembly is not working correctly. Try removing the distributor cap and rotor so you can see the vacuum advance assembly. Then remove the vacuum hose from its 'ported' source but leave the end attached to the distributor on. Gently suck on the exposed vacuum hose end, or use a vacuum pump, and look to see if the vacuum advance assembly moves at all. If not, it shoudl be replaced.
Timing on any engine is key. My 1975 F-250 HighBoy with a 360 calls for a Factory timing spec of 6 degrees BTDC. Setting it to 6 degrees BTDC makes it run like a dog chained to a tree !! Rotten. I like between 10 and 12, but more importantly, at least to me, is that I use a vacuum gauge to set my timing. I rarely use a timing light. I simply try to achieve as much vacuum as possible before she'll ping under load/heavy throttle. I learned this from a guy who raced for Ford throughout the 60's and into the mid-70's. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ford Truck Articles