Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

One step fowards, two steps back..

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Took the Bronco to get a back glass put in it, and had the shop look at the brake lights to, while it was there.

Turns out, if you just barely put the fuse in the fuse box, the brake lights and turn signals work. So we are just running with that for right now....

But, on the way home dad turned the heat on, and smoke (steam?) poured out of the dash, so apparently it's gonna need a new heater core.

Then we stopped to get gas, and smelled like something was hot... figured we would try to get it on home, and we did. but as we stopped in the driveway smoke was rolling off both front wheels. Passenger side more so than the drivers side.. Gonna try to put new brake lines on it, and check the calibers and rotors this weekend.

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
welcome to owning your first car...

I have some tales i could tell about my first truck, i spent more time working on my first truck than i did in school for the first month or two...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
welcome to owning your first car...

I have some tales i could tell about my first truck, i spent more time working on my first truck than i did in school for the first month or two...

Yep, and I don't mind working on stuff. (enjoy it for the most part) but I really need to get this thing straightened out so I don't have to keep borrowing my parents car.

(I'm driving the Monte Carlo some now, but it's only got one headlight, and no dash lights, and most places I go I don't get home till after dark...so don't drive it much)

Hey Tyler, when are you going to change your user title to ditch the Chevy thing and incorporate the Bronk?

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Well it looks a bunch better....I can't tell you how happy I am for you....

I'm pretty happy too, and will be even more happy whenever (if) it ever becomes my DD. :D

At least you sort of know how to do stuff, whenever I get a problem like that I wouldn't know the first thing to do.

I don't know a whole lot about stuff, just trying to learn as much as I can. I'v learned most of what I know, just reading on forums and from my pappaw.

A suggestion I have for you, is don't be afraid to tear into things. If you can't get it back together, I promise you somebody will be able too. (Just stay within reason.... don't tear your motor apart just because you want to. Actually don't take anything apart unless your at least 70% sure it needs to be worked on smilietease)

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
My wife gives me grief because I have to tear everything apart and put it back to gather right no matter how new a vehicle I get.
When we bought her car (new) I stood there looking it over and under she spoke up and said "Don't even think about taking it apart."

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Then we stopped to get gas, and smelled like something was hot... figured we would try to get it on home, and we did. but as we stopped in the driveway smoke was rolling off both front wheels. Passenger side more so than the drivers side.. Gonna try to put new brake lines on it, and check the calibers and rotors this weekend.

Pretty common problem from sitting.

New brake lines aren't a bad idea, but I'd guess it's probably just rust on the slide pins or something.

Brake fluid contaminated with water could have rusted the caliper stuck, too. If you can afford to, replacing the whole brake assembly (rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, maybe even lines) would be nice...but if you can't, make sure everything that's supposed to move does so, put it back together and see if it works.

Disassembling and cleaning the front brakes so they don't stick is pretty much routine maintenance on my '97 Ranger. The trick is keeping the rotors from warping until you can get someplace to stop and disassemble 'em.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Pretty common problem from sitting.

New brake lines aren't a bad idea, but I'd guess it's probably just rust on the slide pins or something.

Brake fluid contaminated with water could have rusted the caliper stuck, too. If you can afford to, replacing the whole brake assembly (rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, maybe even lines) would be nice...but if you can't, make sure everything that's supposed to move does so, put it back together and see if it works.

Disassembling and cleaning the front brakes so they don't stick is pretty much routine maintenance on my '97 Ranger. The trick is keeping the rotors from warping until you can get someplace to stop and disassemble 'em.

Yep, I'll probably just dissemble everything, and make sure nothing is froze up..

I'v heard of lines deteriorating and not letting the calipers release, so figured I would start there. Probably end up with new rotors to, I dunno how bad I messed these up. and possibly calipers and brake pads, just have to wait and see...

Might as well re pack the wheel bearings while your there so that they dont blow up on ya.

Good idea, hadn't thought of that. Definitely something I need to do.

Thanks.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Rotors are cheap replace em while your there. Get em from Napa and ya wont have a problem with em bein warped. Every new truck I get since Ive had the 76 ive repacked the wheel bearins on em. I had one blow on that truck and it was 600 bucks in parts to fix it all.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Ahh Brakes.Y'all should see the brakes on the F100.When dad and me winched the F100 on the trailer,we didn't think to check to see if the wheels were stuck.It was gettin dark,and we wanted to get the truck home.Well,we winched away,and broke the wheels free,but the pads had welded to the rotors,so now there's nice little ridges in my pads and rotors.

Oh wait,I have pics...

modelsandemblems1207.jpg

modelsandemblems1198.jpg

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Rotors are cheap replace em while your there. Get em from Napa and ya wont have a problem with em bein warped. Every new truck I get since Ive had the 76 ive repacked the wheel bearins on em. I had one blow on that truck and it was 600 bucks in parts to fix it all.

Didn't replace the rotors, was gonna be to much work we figured.

well he texted me yesterday and said the brakes are fixed so idk what all was wrong but he fixed em.

Ended up with new pads, Calipers, and brake lines.

Ahh Brakes.Y'all should see the brakes on the F100.When dad and me winched the F100 on the trailer,we didn't think to check to see if the wheels were stuck.It was gettin dark,and we wanted to get the truck home.Well,we winched away,and broke the wheels free,but the pads had welded to the rotors,so now there's nice little ridges in my pads and rotors.

Oh wait,I have pics
modelsandemblems1198.jpg

Ouch... that ain't good.

I bet you will be replacing your brakes to, huh?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts