Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Jeez, how thirsty is a 460???!!!!

FTF'er
Ok, so I started my 460 for the first time today since I bought the truck it is in. How thirsty are these things? I used a section of hose from the fuel pump down to a 20 ounce plastic bottle on the ground. The truck has no radiator, so I ran the engine LESS than two minutes... mostly idling and just a few times revving it.

It used 100 ounces (5 of the 20oz bottles I was using) of gas for 2 minutes of running! While idling, it will suck the 20 oz bottle dry in about 15 seconds.

The oil smelled like gas when I bought it, and he said it had an old junk Holley carb that dumped gas in like crazy. It now has a new Carter AFB (Edelbrock?) 750 on it. The exhaust smelled real rich. Maybe something is messed up in the carb?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Edelbrocks are bad for running rich, especially at higher altitudes. I've had nothing but trouble out of mine since I moved to Montana...

That seems like quite a bit of fuel though... Even for a 460...

Last edited:

FTF'er
How would I know if a float is stuck? And what happens? Where does the extra gas go? Is it dumped into the engine?

Sorry for so many questions... I know very little about carbs.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yeah, that sounds a little Extreme even for a modded 460, some thing is way wrong..

I was once the proud owner of a 1973 Lincoln Continental Mark IV. It had the 460 engine, and everything was completely stock. Now that car was HEAVY (I even put a set of the dreaded Firestone wide white 721's on it!) but the old girl would get 20 mpg on the highway, of course the speed limit was the double nickel, but it would run in the low 60's and do 20 mpg. In town it would do 6.

FTF'er
This thing will start and idle fine, then begin to run rough. I can hold the linkage back on the carb to make it rev higher, and after about 5 to 10 seconds it's back to running smooth.

Cell phone vid taken too close for good audio, but you can sure see the gas level in the 1 gallon jug drop quick!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I was once the proud owner of a 1973 Lincoln Continental Mark IV. It had the 460 engine, and everything was completely stock. Now that car was HEAVY (I even put a set of the dreaded Firestone wide white 721's on it!) but the old girl would get 20 mpg on the highway, of course the speed limit was the double nickel, but it would run in the low 60's and do 20 mpg. In town it would do 6.

That brings back a few memories. Drove a '75 Mark IV to Eugene- Christmas of '76. About 100 miles, a little running around... and needed to top it off to make it back to Portland. Hwy wasn't bad, but in town you could literally watch the fuel guage move as you drove. :rofl:

Our 87 f250 ex cab w/460, C-6 and 4.10's gets around 11mpg towing a 24' trailer(10+K lbs) and about 13 mpg empty. It is worse on the hwy( see guage move when towing @70 mph) but around town a 20 gallon tank gets around 215-230 mi.
We have a Edelbrock 750 carb on it untill I can get a new Holley on it. Our OE carb flooded badly and used alot of fuel, on the second rebuild discovered a cracked main body. You may hve problems like I did as the Edelbrock max fuel psi is around 5.5 and my pump was delivering 7psi. After putting on a fuel psi regulator set at 5 psi all the problems like you have disappeared. Still, the Holley was a better power carb.
Mine has the in tank electric fuel pumps and a booster pump on the frame if yours doesn't see the post by wizzard 351.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts