Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rattle sounds in 5.4 98 F-250 LD

I have a 98 F-250 LD truck with 5.4 about 175000 miles. Runs great, drives great, but is begining to have a rattle while it is idoling in park and drive. Sounds like it comes from the gut of engine or the transmission, but transmission seems to be fine and I have never had a problem with the truck at all. Engine does not have a knock so it is not that. Please help if you can so I can fix it ASAP.
Thanx,
Fordman98

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
heat shields on the exhaust maybe?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 98 F-250 LD truck with 5.4 about 175000 miles. Runs great, drives great, but is begining to have a rattle while it is idoling in park and drive. Sounds like it comes from the gut of engine or the transmission, but transmission seems to be fine and I have never had a problem with the truck at all. Engine does not have a knock so it is not that. Please help if you can so I can fix it ASAP.
Thanx,
Fordman98
Check the torque converter bolts.

It is a short bed. Last year I had a vacum leak and that made the rpm's idol at about 2500. Put it in gear and then it would idol about 1000. It started the rattle soon after that.Just wondered if that hurt it any. Thanx,Fordman98

It is a short bed. Last year I had a vacum leak and that made the rpm's idol at about 2500. Put it in gear and then it would idol about 1000. It started the rattle soon after that.Just wondered if that hurt it any. Thanx,Fordman98

Buy an inexpensive mechanic's stethesope and start checking the various parts of the engine near where you think the sound is coming from. If the sound is loudest in the oil pan you have problems coming. My '98 expy had a rattle that I traced to the rear of the oil pan. I dropped the pan and found the bearings spun on the last rod journal. They were real bad but made very little noise, like a slightly loose rocker arm. Drive it gentle until it has to be replaced or trade it and then the dealer can worry about it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts