Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aerostar steering rack problems

Fellro

Staff member
Not sure what year it is, and it is a friend of my sister's so I don't necessarily have all the details, especially since the vehicle is in Virginia, and I am in Iowa...
Anyway, story is that hey have replaced the rack a few times, as well as the pump, and it continues to leak. The last rack I guess has actually broken the housing, the only way I can understand that kind of thing happening is if the mechanic is doing something wrong, and it either binding, or is way loose somehow. Is it common to have these kind of problems on Aerostars?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Not sure what year it is, and it is a friend of my sister's so I don't necessarily have all the details, especially since the vehicle is in Virginia, and I am in Iowa...
Anyway, story is that hey have replaced the rack a few times, as well as the pump, and it continues to leak. The last rack I guess has actually broken the housing, the only way I can understand that kind of thing happening is if the mechanic is doing something wrong, and it either binding, or is way loose somehow. Is it common to have these kind of problems on Aerostars?
A lot depends on where is it broken/leaking? I never have seen one that had repeat issues.

Fellro

Staff member
That's what has me baffled too, not real common to have repeats for me either.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I would have to say, excessive torque, not changing that aggravating white plastic gasket, rough installation, or wrong parts.

I read somewhere that just torquing the mounts in the wrong sequence could damage the housing. Is that true?

Fellro

Staff member
There is only two bolts to mount it, and they are rubber bushed as well, so I don't see that happening.

Musta been for one of my "Other" fiscal reponsiblities around here.

Fellro

Staff member
Just found out from the other site that you can overtorque the lines though, and crack the housing that way...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts