Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mountaineer engine swap question.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I have an interesting idear...

The 302 in my mountaineer is mass air, I have a 351 out of my 95 F150 that is speed density. I am wondering if you guys think it would be possible to swap the 351 into my mountaineer and use the mass air crap to convert the 351.

Do you think its possible? :D

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm not sure, but I believe there are clearance issues with the heater box swapping a 351 into a Ranger...I'd assume your Mountaineer would be the same.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Its been done, space issues can be worked around. My biggest concern is converting the SD 351 to mass air from the 302 parts.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm pretty sure if everything electronic is switched over, your computer won't know the difference. I'm not sure about fuel delivery issues because they have different # injectors.

Ryan

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
...and that should be able to be taken care of with tuning, correct?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Sweet. I will log this for the next project. If anybody has any other info, feel free to add it.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
So, the 5.0 has a cam sensor, and no 5.8s have that. I was told I will run into problems with this.

Anyone know anything about this?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Where is the cam sensor on a 5.0? My 5.8 has a "cam sensor" (notice I put it in quotes because I'm not sure if it's the same as yours; it's kind of a multifunction sensor) inside of the distributor. It's the same piece as the stator, pickup coil, etc... It's got many names.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
This can explain it better than me. you can see it right on the front, above the water pump. it is driven just like a distributor.

99enginefront.jpg

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
and I definitely don't have a distributor. :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
yeppers. Thanks 5.0

FTF'er
Was there ever a 351 that used coil packs? Lighting or Mustang?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
No idear, maybe someone knows. I did read somewhere that no 351 had that cam sensor, so I am deducing no...

Ford Truck Articles