Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Motor mount and lifting points ?? 5.4

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hi guys,
I'm working to pull a 5.4 from an '01 Expedition.

What are the lifting points to pull one of these mod motors? Like the flatheads, I'm ready to use straps under the exhaust manifolds unless you can point me in another direction.

Motor mounts look like the old 2 piece mounts in the '70 mustang. Is the best way to remove the engine to remove the single long bolt? Or do I need to unbolt brackets.

Yeah, I should get a manual, but I don't own an Expy and I'm only pulling this one from a rolled '01 for my daughter's '97.

Any and all advice is appreciated - thanks!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Pulling a 5.4.....

HAHA getting ready to do it myself.

OK here are a few pointers..

First I would remove the intake manifold, coils, and fuel rail. Then you can clear up ALOT of room under the hood.

I always use a #4 intake bolt and a #5 intake bolt to attach the chain to pull the motor.

There are two bolts on the top back side of the block that attach the Trans to the block. those will be ALOT easier to get to if the manifold is off. pull the fan shroud and radiator. you will need all the room you can get. Also leave the converter on the trans it will be ALOT easier for install. I would take the Passenger side motor mount off the block 3 bolts hold it on. the drivers side remove the single bolt as the dipstick tube intertwines with it and the manifold. Make sure you are aware of the four bolts that hold the converter to the flywheel and there location. I would also pull the front driveshaft, makes it easier to get to some of the bolts on the trans. Remember what I told you about the two plugs on the firewall. starter is a ***** to get out. A/C compressor and PS pump have to stay in the truck. 4 bolts on the A/C and 4 on the PS pump. The PS tanks needs to stay in the truck as well. Just unbolt it from the block and let it swing free.

Any other questions while you are in the process feel free to give me a call. (SIX THREE SIX) TWO FIVE NINE - SIX TWO NINE FOUR

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks!

I can do 302's in my sleep, but this one is packed a lot tighter. I figured the converter bolted to the flexplate the same way.

It's all similar, just different. I'll give you a call if I hit something I can't figure out. So far I've got the throttle body off, working on the fuel rails and intake is next. The front was smashed along with rad and coolers so I've been using the sawsall a bit.

This was an Eddie Bauer edition so if it was an option this rig has it. Thinking it might have been easier to lift the body off the chassis....

blacksnapon

Staff member
We use a lifting bracket that after intake removal, it bolts to the alternator mounting holes and the two holes in the rear. You can make one with a couple pieces of steel and an old bumper jack.

Thank you. Do you have any pics of that lifting device? Also there is one bolt on the passenger side of the tranny. Any tip on how to get it out. I am it able to get any tools to it. It's the bold just above the starter port.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Plugs against the firewall are #4 on the pass side, and #8 on the drivers side. As for the trans bolt, I use approx. 3' of extensions and an swivel.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thank you. Do you have any pics of that lifting device? Also there is one bolt on the passenger side of the tranny. Any tip on how to get it out. I am it able to get any tools to it. It's the bold just above the starter port.

lifting_bracket.jpg

Ford Truck Articles