Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can I start my engine?

FTF'er

I bought a truck with a bad transmission and the guy has some things unhooked already... starter, torque converter, radiator is out, transfer case is out, etc.

I want to fire this engine before spending my loot on a new transmission.

I can take the belt off so I'm not spinning a dry water pump.

But what about the torque converter? Can a 460 be started and ran without the torque converter hooked up? We used to do our Chevy motors like this, but I'm a BB Ford newbie and don't wanna screw this up.

FTF'er
I don't want to cause any balance issues... so the torque converter doesn't need to be hooked up?

This truck has 1 exhaust pipe ran down the frame and dumps in front of the back tire, and the other is cut under the truck... [sarcasm] this should sound sweet [/sarcasm]

FTF'er
Thanks man, I'll have to get some gas hooked up to the fuel pump and throw the starter back on and see how this runs.

I'm thinking if it runs good that I may try to find a Ranger to put it in, or maybe a SN95 Mustang.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I dont see why not. I used to start my truck up without the transmission in it alot.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
ive started them up while they where out and layin on a tire. all ya need is a bellhousing, starter and a flywheel of some sort to turn it over.

Ford Truck Articles