Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

cleaning headliner

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks to a lousy dealership (don't ask) I've got a greasy spot on the headliner of my brand-new Ranger, right over the driver's head.

I'm gonna go raise a ruckus down there this week...but none of their employees will be touching my truck.

Anybody had any experience cleaning a dark greasy stain off a light gray headliner? I've never tried to clean one, but the "mouse-fur" fabric they're covered with tends to come apart when you try to clean it, and I think that looks worse than the grease.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'd demand a new headliner. If they insist on cleaning it then tell them "fine but I'm not leaving here unless I have a spotless headliner-- whether you have to replace it or not."

I have a feeling you won't be able to fully clean it out.

F150

easy
Take the least intrusive route, and work with very little pressure. I'd try a mild detergent and blot with a damp sponge or rag, then go to a degreaser type of soap with a soft bristle tooth brush, working your way up to and angle grinder with a cut off wheel.............smiliepeelout

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I'm with Chris make them make it right. If they won't or can't then I would try some woolite laundry soap. It's made for delicates (keep the jokes to yourselves jerks!). Maybe a little spray and wash dabbed on first and left to "soak" for a few minutes.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I'd demand a new headliner. If they insist on cleaning it then tell them "fine but I'm not leaving here unless I have a spotless headliner-- whether you have to replace it or not."

I have a feeling you won't be able to fully clean it out.

And hope to hell they install it correctly... and have the truck out for one or two days.

Window cleaner and a towel Ian.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

I'm not letting these hamfisted [censored] touch my truck.

I've had bad experiences trying to clean headliners...never been able to get a spot out entirely, and I've had the glue deteriorate also which caused the headliner to sag.

I'd be afraid to try it, and have them tell me I owned it afterward because I messed with it. Count me in on the "let them do it" side.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Don't be so rigid Ian. Could have been one stupid tech or prep guy and the rest are good to go. If your not going to let them do anything then why even bother going in. Just handle it yourself and save the aggravation.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm not going to get into it here, Aaron...but suffice it to say my decision is not based solely (or even mostly) on this stain.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I'm not going to get into it here, Aaron...but suffice it to say my decision is not based solely (or even mostly) on this stain.

I use Sprayway window cleaner I get at Costco. Haven't seen a stain it won't get out- headliner, seat... or light beige carpets at home. Great stuff. Oh- it's good on glass too. :)

Headliner cleaning is a pain... you don't want to damage the integrity of the materials or damage the adhesive that holds them together...

I would get some Zep high traffic, well suited to an oil stain... lightly mist it with the cleaner, then agitate with a semi stiff brush, blot with a microfiber. Repeat if necessary...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts