Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fuel system issues HELP!

i have a 1986 f150 5.0 efi 4 wheel. i just put in a rear tank. tryed switching it to the rear from the front while driveing. the motor stalled i pulled over siwtched back to the front tank witch the truck runs fine on. and now it wont start. it turns over just fine. every now and then it will pop and sputter. im thinking the inline fuel filter. but i have no clue. please help!!

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I'm thinking air in the lines. There should be a bleeder valve on the fuel rail. turn the key on and depress the bleeder valve until you get fuel. Then try and start it.

where exactly would this bleeder valve be? and ive been tinkering with it and it seems to be the inline filter. i took the line off the bottom of the filter and gas was comeing out. but ill deffinitly try that bleeder valve. i just need to know where it is. and where the fue rail is located.

much abliged.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I have the same truck. The fuel rail is what the injectors clip into. Driver's side toward the front you'll find what looks like a tire valve. That's the schrader valve or bleeder. Depress the plunger with the key on and wait for the gas to arrive. It'll be under pressure from the high pressure pump so be careful.

The fuel rail runs around the outside of the intake plenum. When you run one of these out of gas, you have a horrible time getting it started. I did once - never again.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
efi bleeds itself. check the switch that switches the tank, it may not be makeing contact.if switch is good, put switch on rear tank, and have someone listen in where you fill the tank. turn key on, see if you hear the fuel pump cycle. if not, you have to pull the tank again, and check wireing connections, if not that, replace the pump.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts