Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

87 F series ign./ start trouble

87 Ford F series p/u. You have to turn the ignition on/off several times before the vehicle will start. This truck runs the 6.9L diesel but if I remember its a module problem but I need help remembering the name of the module or if this is another problem. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I would be looking at a glow plug controller (relay)

If the GP's all ohm out ok, and you are getting less than 1v drop across the relay, might want to check the fuel pump output. Instead of trying to crank several times, turn the key on to RUN and leave it for about 15 to 30 seconds... you should hear the fuel pump run and eventually wind down. when it winds down, try to start.

Welll.... then.... Manuel should be FIRED, Homes!

OK poor humor. I didn't realize there WERE manual pumps still around. Mechanical, maybe...

:rofl:

ok thanx to all. yes this 6.9 had the mechanical pump but they changed it out to and electric pump and he says that you can hear it wine then the pitch of the wine gets hire after a couple of seconds. I thought it was a module at the steering column where the rod from the ignition goes into. Thanx again to all!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts