Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

one manual & one auto hub?

racsan

4xford
well, it seems i had a hub strip tonight. i was wondering if its possible with out hurting anything to put on one of my old auto hubs until i get the manual replaced? my old auto hubs still worked when i had removed them, but i dont know how it would work out to have one side a auto and the other a manual. supposed to have a 2-4 snow accumulation on thursday, id sure hate to not have 4wd. i was first afraind it was something in the transfer case that went, but im pretty sure now its a hub. for now im just getting by with my 500# in the back end.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If the front diff is open (non-LS or locker) then I don't see why it would hurt. Wait for some second opinions from the expert but my basic understanding of the 4x4 system makes me think that this should not hurt anything.

racsan

4xford
yes, std open front diff. i read @ the ranger station where someone was going to weld there auto hub internals to make them permantly locked, i may consider that, i run wih the manual hubs locked during the winter anyways. new hubs from autozone (where i got these from in the first place) are $180, and are only sold as a set. i still have all the old parts and somewhere i do have the spindle nut sockets. im glad i didnt blow the front diff or T-case! i do beleive id have a 2wd for the rest of the winter if that were the case. i was trying to pull someone in 4L and the front tires were on dry pavement and the rears were on hard-packed snow. guess i found the weakest link!

racsan

4xford
well, it is indeed the drivers side hub, found my socket and changed out that side back to a auto. thought about doing the other, but its 23 out and im pretty tired, maybe tommarrow if it aint too bad out. at least now i have the possibility of 4wd. glad i kept all my old parts!

racsan

4xford
well, both sides are now back to the stock auto's. if i had welded up a auto to make it fully locked full time it would have worked, but as it was with one manual and one auto, the manual side would turn the axle and due to the spiders in the fron differential the auto side axle would turn backwards and try to engage the auto hub going forwards. it would just make a awful ratchting sound. if you ran it with the transfer case engaged it was fine, but you cant do that all the time. i put the other old auto hub setup back on and all is well. im not a fan of the auto hub setup, but its either that or no 4wd at all for right now. i tested them and they do seem to be working for the time being. thought id let y'all know.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts