Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What Some People Try To Sell You.....

I didn't know exactly where to post this but I figure this is as good a place as any other.

It was time for the 120000 mile service on the truck... I did everything but the transmission flush at home; I'm just see bad things happening while having the truck running, pouring oil into the filler tube and draining oil into a bucket from the cooler line :eek:

Anyways, I went to a local quick oil change place, thankfully I had my own oil and filter on hand. What the guy there tried to tell me was that he could turn Mercon V into Mecron SP with an additive pack of friction modifiers etc.... I expressed my doubt, mentioning that Mercon SP was a synthetic fluid that was, to the best of my knowledge not compatible with other fluids. He assured me that this was common practice and they had been doing it for years.... He was unwilling to even entertain the idea that what he was doing could void people's warranties :headbang:

I sure am glad I only needed the flushing machine.... :flames:

So for anyone who goes to these small quick change places, be aware that they may not be using approved fluids.:hammer:

absolutely.. you nailed it 04

A lot of the problem with those places is that guy that was trying to sell you just last week got fired off of the french fryer at McDonalds...or a scenario something similar to that....

A lot of the problem with those places is that guy that was trying to sell you just last week got fired off of the french fryer at McDonalds...or a scenario something similar to that....

That wouldn't bother me so much if he didn't try to come off as a lubrication engineer; and when you call him on his :bs: he get's all uppity and acts like you're the idiot who doesn't know what you're talking about. [confused]

It's almost enough to drive me to drink.... :spank:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I've replaced a couple of torqueshifts because of improper fluid usage (Walmart is always good for this)

Shows you how much saving a nickle can cost you :D

Gunner

Fellro

Staff member
I went to one of those quick change places for a trans flush... After they tried to sell mt eh standard air filter routine, I asked them why they were even checking it when it was for a trans flush, and I forget now what tipped me off, but they had changed my oil, and did not doi the trans... I got a free oil change out of the deal, too bad it didn't need it...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
When I take mine to my buddy, I take him any fluids that need changed or parts that need installed. He doesn't care. He just does the labor. :) Another reason it's nice to have a buddy with a shop. :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
...And your buddy has a built-in cash Cow.
Yep. But I don't have any busted knuckles and I'm not covered in oil or diesel. Yeah, ask me about the ONE time I decided I'd drain the HFCM myself. Do you know how hard it is to get that damned smell of diesel off!!:rofl:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yep. But I don't have any busted knuckles and I'm not covered in oil or diesel. Yeah, ask me about the ONE time I decided I'd drain the HFCM myself. Do you know how hard it is to get that damned smell of diesel off!!:rofl:
Busted knuckles? I've got so much scar tissue, the diesel smell wont stick any more!YelloThumbUp

I handle it or step in puddles of it every day, almost. Gloves take care of the hands, tho, and the shoes take the rest unfortunately

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Just to be fair and play both sides of the "issue"... but my local Ford dealer uses "cheap untrained labor" in their quick-lube area. After watching a 6.0's oil get changed the wrong way (did not loosen the oil filter cap prior to draining the pan), I asked for the service Manager and told him of my observation.

This is why I have developed a 4 year relationship with my dealer and only have one particular guy who is 6.0L trained work on my truck... no matter the problem or service I want done.... plus I stay and watch.

I have made it known to the Service Manager that there is a reason for paying a diesel technicion more than a "quick-lube" guy and I for one am willing to pay for it... and at the least... every customer is expecting a "ford trained" person as the FMC commercials state!!!!

The Jiffy Lubes, Walmarts and the like are no different and in this day and age of "keep costs down and profits up"... it has become a "buyer beware" and "consumer be aware" marketplace.

Problems happen at every dealership or garage... it is sites like this that educate all of us on what to ask for or expect.
:beer:

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts