Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

electrical question

Hi all. I'm new here and have a question!
Truck is a 1995 F-superduty 5 spd diesel car carrier roll back.
Had the fuse to the brake,flasher curcut blow the other day. There was a 30 amp installed why i don't know i purchased the truck not that long ago.
The fuse was somewhat melted. After installing correct amp fuse (15amp)
The brake lights are on even with the brake switch disconnected. I have power at both wires going to the brake switch! Is this correct???
So far i have eliminated the rear light harness by disconnecting it at the firewall. disconnected the multi function switch (flasher,directional switch)as well as removing the flashers trying to isolate the problem.
I think i have two hot wires melted together.
So: does anyone know for sure if both wires running to the brake switch are hot.
I also disconnected the PCM.
I need this info to continue.
Thanks,Bob.
VERY COLD BARRE,VERMONT.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You should have power at only one wire. When you press the brake, the other powers up. Bad brakelight switch.

Wires are probably shorted together.

OK ! Did some diging today. found the two brake wires melted starting from the switch toward the harness about 6 inches. I tested the switch thinking it had shorted. No feed threw to the switch metal case where it mounts. I would think the short would be there as it looks like the hot spot started at the switch.
What do you think?
I also had a problem with the mulit switch. After cutting out the burn't wires i checked for the brake lights being on & their off now. I hooked up the multi switch and the flasher worked ok but seemed slow to start up the flasher. The directional circut on the left would start only some times & the right would only flash the rear light.( nothing on the dash or front of truck on the right) I opened up the multi switch and found some corrosion. I cleaned it up and regreased the switch. Directionals & flashers work better than they ever did sence first purchasing the truck. I did notice a hot spot on the feed to the flasher at the plug Also at the fuse box for the same wire.
Would you think the flasher had an issue at the same time or caused the melt down at the brake switch??
Bob.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You're gonna need to replace all burned wires first. A flasher will self destruct before any wires do (flasher just isn't that strong).

You're gonna need to replace all burned wires first. A flasher will self destruct before any wires do (flasher just isn't that strong).

Guess i didn't make myself clear on that one.
Wondering if the flasher switch could have made the short sence their was a hot spot at the power wire at the plug.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts